guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GRISO 1100 - BECKER-TECHNIK STAND ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRISO 1100 - BECKER-TECHNIK STAND ISSUE
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 09:30
I've just received my Becker-Technik workshop stand ordered from Germany - specific for the Griso.
Looks very well made, and looking at the ( poor quality ) video on You-tube, very easy to use.

I have a problem though - the first time I tried to use it, I couldn't understand why the stand adapters wouldn't locate over the M8 Cap screws on the frame. It is a heavy stand, so rather then continue to be confused trying wield the heavy stand into position, I removed the one of the specially made stainless adapters, and tried to fit it over the cap screw on the side of the frame above the brake pedal.
It doesn't fit !
Seems that the cap screw is a fraction too big for the adapter which measures 11.3 mm internal diameter.
Have contacted Becker-Technik and am waiting for a reply, but has anyone else experienced this  ?

Now: Norge GT8V 2015, BMW K1200S 2005
Previous: Yamaha FS1E, Kawasaki S1 250, Benelli 900 Sei, Triumph Super111, Aprilia Futura. Blackbird. Honda CBX750P. 2007 Griso 1100, 2010 Benelli Tornado Tre,
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 09:53
That'll be the cheap bolts the Guzzi bean counters insisted on buying.LOL

But to be serious, what bolt size it that? Having just checked several, an M8 bolt has a head diameter of 13mm or just under, M6 is about 10mm, and M7 is just under 12mm, but I seriously doubt Guzzi used M7 there.

I suspect you were supplied with the wrong adapters.

I don't have the same bike, but the bolts holding the similar plate on my Norge are definitely M8 with a 13mm head.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:04
Brian, I've checked the Griso parts book and Guzzi say that these bolts are M8 x 75 mm,
but any spare non Moto GUZZI M8 bolts I have lying around have 12.5mm diameter heads, whereas the heads on my Griso are not as wide  - possibly 11.5mm but I cannot measure accurately without dismantling - which I may have to do at some point, but thought I would ask here first.
Previous: Yamaha FS1E, Kawasaki S1 250, Benelli 900 Sei, Triumph Super111, Aprilia Futura. Blackbird. Honda CBX750P. 2007 Griso 1100, 2010 Benelli Tornado Tre,
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:20
Must be specials with a small head size then, trust Guzzi.
I have an M7 bolt which still takes a 6mm key but has a head diameter of 11.7mm, the Guzzi one must be smaller still. Does it take a 6mm key?
Brian.

graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 12:32
Just checked - yes it takes a 6mm key.
Obviously I will update this story once I get a reply from Becker -Technik, but I imagine they will say we sent the correct adapters !
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 15:12
Daft question time (sorry)
Have you reversed the adaptors, left to right and through 180deg.

The hepco Becker stand I had for the 1100 sport was very well made and used 2 18mm 1/2 sq drive sockets that clamped onto the bike, worked very well ...
Breva 1100 in Black
St George's Telford Shropshire.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 16:58
If they do just say they sent the correct parts, you have two choices.
1. You can find someone with a lathe who can open up the adapters enough to fit.
2. If you can remove one bolt at a time without the whole bike collapsing, put it in a drill chuck, spin it and hold a file to the side of the head. You should be able to remove enough to make it fit. If it's really hard you might need carborundum or a diamond file.
Brian.

graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 09:11
Reply to Wits - yes I did try swapping adapters round just in case - but no good. They are specially made  -threaded internally at one end to fix to the stand and the other end is drilled out to slide over the cap screw.
And George, if I had to have the adapters machined, there is very little wall thickness on the adapter so I would be concerned about weakening it.
Same goes for cap screw heads - as they seem smaller than expected for an M8 which I found specified on the net - should be 12.73 mm diameter.
Guess I will have to dismantle this and hope the bike doesn't collapse in a heap ! but will wait for Becker to come back first.
Thanks for comments though.
Surprised no-one else has replied who has bought one !
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 09:33
You say modifying either the cap screw or adapter might weaken it, but think, the adapter was made to fit, so the cap screw they had was obviously smaller in diameter.

Brian.

the doctor View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 16:19
I have one of these stands and the problem is that the bolts the stand engages have a tapered head ie smaller at the outer and wider at the shoulder. The stand pinches onto these bolts but the contact area is so minimal, I preferred to remove the bolts entirely so the stand adaptors fully enter the 'porkchops'.
I have seen a solution by fitting longer bolts with a bobbin on each side - but then the stand adaptors need replacing.
I suffer from Cyclonic irritation

Bikes - 4 x V-twins and a V-3.....
graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 17:05
hmmm, thanks for this info. There I was thinking ' Shell out £100 or thereabouts and buy the proper stand for the job,' instead of which it looks like I am entering a world of pain.
I was obviously fooled by the video on this one.
The idea being it takes about 10 seconds to fit and then like any bike with a main stand, quick lift up, done. 
Still no response from Becker -Technik either. Cry So not very happy.
the doctor View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 17:13
I too will be interested in their reply......if there is one!!
Shame as the stand is well made otherwise.

I suffer from Cyclonic irritation

Bikes - 4 x V-twins and a V-3.....
Squarepants View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squarepants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 13:39
I use the Griso lifter and have had no issue with the fitting and use. It's excellent, in fact.
I would agree that the contact overlap onto the tapered head cap screws is smaller than you would normally expect but it seems to work. The stand itself is quite substantial and as long as you tighten the two halves together, it cannot slip off.

Jon

Smiling while it stays reliable...
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 13:52
You should get a reply within 1 working day, I have  always had very swift replies.
Recently asking if they did a breva stand
Jamie
Originally posted by graham550 graham550 wrote:

hmmm, thanks for this info. There I was thinking ' Shell out £100 or thereabouts and buy the proper stand for the job,' instead of which it looks like I am entering a world of pain.
I was obviously fooled by the video on this one.
The idea being it takes about 10 seconds to fit and then like any bike with a main stand, quick lift up, done. 
Still no response from Becker -Technik either. Cry So not very happy.

Breva 1100 in Black
St George's Telford Shropshire.
graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 14:56
Interesting to hear that Jon, but on mine there is no overlap at all ! the adapters do not go over the bolt cap to any depth at all, which making it impossible to even locate both sides of the stand on the bolts in order to clamp both sides of the stand together, so it is not right.
I will be dismantling the bolts to carry out proper measurements, but not until Becker-Technik have responded to my 2 messages ( with photos ), so am hanging on at present. When I do take it apart I will add a close-up photo to demonstrate the problem. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic