guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Regulator/rectifier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regulator/rectifier
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:39
I am getting the needed parts for my lemans 2 together in preparation for when I do get the time to actually build it, I will be custom building a wiring loom, using new yamaha switch gear that I got cheaply, 

the bike came with a diode board, rotor and stator, which I might upgrade the rotor and stator to new, but would get the bike up and running on the old ones, as it's easy to change at a later date,

I am however wanting to replace the diode board and the regulator, to a combined reg/rect unit, 

However I would like to do it cheaply, possibly with units that I already have which are yamaha r6 type, they seem to be of the 5 wire variety, which I gather is 3 phase wires(yellow) a battery positive and a battery negative, thus the warning light won't be used, which is not a problem, as the speedo that I am thinking of using shows voltage and a warning of low voltage, if I connect the field coil positive to the ignition switch, and the field coil negative to earth, it should work is that correct?

iirc my old lemon2 was wired similarly,

if I wanted a lamp, to work, if I put a 2w bulb in line of the switch to the field coil positive, would it go out when the alternator is charging, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I plan on relay'ing the ignition switch, so the field coil supply could come from that relay and the charge to the battery through the same relay if no light, thus disconnecting the field coil with ignition off!

Edited by Ianboydsnr - 20 Oct 2014 at 12:39
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 00:21
If rotor winding was permanently positive like that you would get massive Volts out and have blowing bulbs, boiling battery and all sorts.

If indeed it is that kind of rotor, the regulator needs to provide a variable output for the rotor winding in order to vary the current and therefore the output of the stator. At least one if not two extra wires needed to connect to the rotor brushes.

I have an RR45 going spare if you want to try it. However I couldn't make the charge light work like it says in the instructions.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 07:36
would swop it for modern RR45 is the unit to fit 
 the ritor must have a charging bulb in the line to get the initial exiting current  to allow the swtator to produce the voltage and current
 the rotor must also be as mentioned variable voltage to controle the output of the stator

For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 09:57
Hey Ray,
Why then with my RR45 do I need to flash it every time ? Which part is dodgy? Charges properly once flashed. I have a wire running back and flash it off the starter motor. No big deal to me but as I am suddenly about to sell it for a new project it would go more easily.

£1750 ish

Cheers
Min

Can't advertise on bikes for sale but will contact Brian.

Edited by theone&onlymin - 21 Oct 2014 at 10:00
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:59
Ian, sounds as if the rec/reg you are taking about was designed for a permanent magnet rotor.
With an excited field type, like the Bosch one, the current through the field is altered to adjust the charging. If you just put battery volts across that field coil then you risk overcharging and boiled batteries.
There are other electronic rec/regs for a 3 phase exited field alternator. Best to try to get the correct type. All car alternators work in the same way.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:00
Simon, is your charge warning light working?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 14:45
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Simon, is your charge warning light working?
Yep, it goes out once flashed. And stays out.

cheers
Min or Simon if you fancy
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by exsmokingbiker exsmokingbiker wrote:

would swop it for modern RR45 is the unit to fit
the rotor must have a charging bulb in the line to get the initial exiting current to allow the swtator to produce the voltage and current
the rotor must also be as mentioned variable voltage to controle the output of the stator

Originally posted by theone&onlymin theone&onlymin wrote:

Hey Ray,
Why then with my RR45 do I need to flash it every time ? Which part is dodgy? Charges properly once flashed. I have a wire running back and flash it off the starter motor. No big deal to me but as I am suddenly about to sell it for a new project it would go more easily.

When the ignition is turned on the RR45 dumps 4 Amps through the rotor then waits for the engine to start running.

Once running this current is varied according to the load on the electrical system.

Min do you mean you have to use this wire every time you start the bike? If so summink must be wrong somewhere, as said above, RR45 virtually 'flashes' the rotor before starting.

What gets the RR45 to do this is the charge light wire, which acts like a trigger to wake it up, there's a warning in the instructions that if the bulb Wattage is too low, then it won't 'wake up'. Sounds like what's happening to yours?

On mine the current this wire draws is so low that no bulb will work, so it will have to be connected direct to the ignition + instead. Which is the option without charge light.

Edited by Mike H - 21 Oct 2014 at 16:01

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 16:08
I have it wired to the right hand indicator warning bulb which lights brightly and then goes out once flashed.
Min
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 16:41
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

If rotor winding was permanently positive like that you would get massive Volts out and have blowing bulbs, boiling battery and all sorts.

If indeed it is that kind of rotor, the regulator needs to provide a variable output for the rotor winding in order to vary the current and therefore the output of the stator. At least one if not two extra wires needed to connect to the rotor brushes.

I have an RR45 going spare if you want to try it. However I couldn't make the charge light work like it says in the instructions.

HTH

that sounds good, how much do you want for it?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 17:22
How about £50 posted? Unused, still in its box.
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 18:34
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

How about £50 posted? Unused, still in its box.

Ok pm me details!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 21:35
Done. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic