guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back on a guzzi after 25 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back on a guzzi after 25 years
    Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 16:28
Hello everyone. I'm Richie and although I've been biking for over 30 years I haven't had a Guzzi since buying a 6 month old 1000s in 1990 , god I wish I still had that one. Anyway, I've just bought a 95 Cali 1100 I to accompany my good old bsa a65 1969 which I love to bits.
here's the cheeky bit , I am mechanically minded but I am predominately a bsa man , but have an affection for guzzis.
I bought this Cali in Ireland and rode her back and to be honest its great , rides well runs well and sounds lovely.ive done a few jobs since buying her like new oil and filter,adjusted the side stand switch( cutting out over bumps ) new leads and plug caps , plugs.
total fluids change also. And I've polished the rocker covers and all exposed alli. Like all old Cali,s she wants new paint ,which I'll do come spring but........here's the cheeky bit....and I know I'm new but desperate. When started from cold she fires on one cyl ,the left fires , its not the ign. I've swopped out everything and the problem remains on the same side. After30 seconds she's on two and pulls well. All day she's running great but when you leave her for a few hours she starts on one.I've turned the fuel off , left it on center stand,primed the fuel pump on the key a few times but to no avail. Has any one had this ? I cant see any evidence of head gasket ie. Combustion stains by the fins and as I said its ok after 30 seconds.

I do require your help on this one guys.
and Ps.....sorry for being cheeky...my assistance may be required in the future and I'm always willing to help.
cheers guys
Richie
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 17:17
Others will know the model better than I, but do you have a cold start device on it? Sounds as if the fuelling is wrong until it warms up a bit.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
richiedan40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 17:28
Thanks for your reply and hi.
well , not sure ,there's a sort of choke lever on the left hand bar but it only seems to increase the engine speed not richen I up. As regards to injection temp sensor I'm not sure.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 17:29
Hi and welcomeThumbs Up
GSXR1100 L ,Moto Guzzi 650tt/ntx.750xpa,t5 850.1100 sport,1100 sport corsa rider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 17:38
Hi johno , hows it going?
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 18:15
check the relays. if they are Seimens bin them and replace with anything else, they might not be the cause of you current problem but they will cause others.

have you tried swopping the coils around ?
Norge 1200 GT 8v   T5 Polizia
Too old to die young

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 18:22
Hi Jim , yeh , done that, got a good spark on both , don't think it is coils, I'm leaning toward fuel but don't know too much about cycle injection. Relays.....there is a fuel pump one but the left cylinder is ok.so pump is good.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 18:47
One easy thing to try is put some injector cleaner in the tank and run it for a few miles.

You should be able to swap the injectors left to right too, but it's probably a bit fiddly.
Brian.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 19:51
binning Seimens still worth doing as they have a bad reputation. Make sure that the big connector to ECU is pushed right in, that caused me several probs until I discovered it. Those apart I ran my 1100i for 10 years with no other electrical issues, never had any firing ones either
Norge 1200 GT 8v   T5 Polizia
Too old to die young

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 20:04
Ah , that's all good stuff , many thanks boys , catch you later ,
good site by the way , no anoracks . Cheers .
Richie Daniels
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 20:17
relays look on t web for "pyro dan" in the usa but 6 relay cost the same as 2 here top bloke pay by paypal with you in a few days fuel injector cleaner works well get mine from Wilkinsons hardware redex do the bikes and car yearly .... different stuff for carb bikes well worth using especially with crap unleaded ethanol fuel had this fault on a carb bike and my V11 lemans ...new fuel filter cleared it no idea why

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 23:40
Originally posted by richiedan40 richiedan40 wrote:

there's a sort of choke lever on the left hand bar but it only seems to increase the engine speed not richen I up.

According to what others have said on the forums, yes that's right.

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

One easy thing to try is put some injector cleaner in the tank and run it for a few miles.

Yes. By 'some', read as, at least half the bottle

And make sure you buy the stuff for petrol not diesel.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 05:46

Arguably the symptoms suggest that the lazy cylinder is not set rich enough at initial start up. I suppose some measure of that is how much the bike has to cool before the bike shows the same issue … I think ‘several hours’ was mentioned. I don’t run injected bikes, so I’m speaking form a point of some ignorance, but would that not point to a dodgy sensor somewhere on the lazy side?

Butch
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 08:29
On those models, I don't think there is any sensor which is solely for one cylinder.

A slightly sticking injector (when cold) would do this, which is why injector cleaner has been suggested.
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 10:00
Update...yesterday , before stripping to swap injectors I started the bike and was feeling the down pipes to remind myself which cyl had the problem, bizarrely , both pipes were warm , but it ran horribly, one cyl then two back onto one , and in the confined space of a garage it stunk of petrol , so I pulled the plugs , they were wet and black. So , she's overly rich , has to be adjustment of the throttle positioning sensor , its the only thing that controls fueling on an open loop system , am I right ? Is there a cold start sensor on an air cooled engine ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic