guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 VHB30 carbs. Worn out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:31
The only part which can get "worn out" on most carbs is the throttle slide in the body. If that's flopping bout like a whatsit in a bowler hat, then there is not much can be done about it, but all other parts can be replaced. the throttle side can also be replaced, but if it's the body worn, it gets like Trigger's broom.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 14:32
My Father would always comment - like a p51ck in a shirtsleeve. Or on tighter tolerances - less than a gnat's c0c5.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 15:11
Just to be pedantic, the VHB "square slide" is always pushed to the front by the return spring being on a slight angle, so it doesn't "flop about".

In fact, there's a gap on the other side of it. (Intake side.)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 22:00
Gave up and bought a brand new pair of the round ones caame with mounting rubbers  to fit the spada - never used tem as found out i already had a set

For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 17:27
No reply from OP Jimble - but he did say 36k miles, so I also doubt "worn out".

Did I tell you the story of my experiences (twice!) with BMW (car) carburettors? Was quite a common thing at the time that at around 65 - 70k miles, the main body casting goes porous. Shocked That's it, FUBAR.

A temp repair was spray the outside with like a lacquer sealant (was told this by a BMW dealer workshop mechanic, who actually had a manual for the procedure with instructions and photos)

More permanent fix was get a replacement Weber kit, also less than half the cost of a new BMW carb.

But I mean, porous FFS... Shocked

They were Solex I think.

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 20:17
Teutonic efficiency for you
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 15:35
To get more money out of you, certainly.

Made the mistake of walking into a BMW dealer for spare parts only once. Ouch (For the R80RT)

Motobins after that.

Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 18:10
Porosity can be a problem with alloy - the cylinder head on my Dad's old BMW 323i went west as a result of this.

Resin impregnation is the answer, something I've had done in the past on my Constellation's crankcases in a (futile) bid to keep the oil inside the engine rather than on the outside (or the floor, it's normal resting place, if you've been enthusiastic with the right hand). 

I can't remember the name of the company, but they were based not far from Kempton Park, handy when there's a 'jumble on.
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 18:12
After a bit of digging around, here's company I mentioned (if anyone needs it);

Prestige Finishing ltd,
Echelforde Drive,
Ashford,
Middlesex TW15 2ER 
Tel 01784-244849
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 07:45

just seen this - i had a set of these to fit on a spada they are the modern round ones and a straight swap  think they are still around as a complete kit  come with correct jets - rubber boot mounts etc  this set came from Pete @ Reboot
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic