guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Technical services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Tank Pinstripes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 21:49
Originally posted by -HJB- -HJB- wrote:

Cheers chaps. To tell a secret it’s not perfect but it’s tidy enough. It was a rattle can job! I finished it off with a can of Pro XL 2 pack lacquer which isn’t cheap but gives you a hard 2k finish. You twist a valve to release the hardener and have 24 hrs to use it. 
Best of luck Ian. 

Have you tested it with petrol? I did my CB175 tank with it and though I say it myself, it looked superb. I dripped one drop on it and the thing was ruined. I don't know if I was just unlucky?
-HJB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -HJB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 22:06
Actually, I had used another ‘2k’ in a can by ‘HB Body’ and had the same problem come to think of it. I had to flat it back. The Pro XL has worked perfectly and is petrol proof. You do need to leave the 1k for a week or 2 though to dry stable enough for the lacquer. 
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 00:16
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

I have a '78 T3 Cali with pin striping correct to Acontemporary brochure picture courtesy of Bond Equipe on here. The stripes are stick on, lacquered over and are very good. If you are really stuck, I can photo it but probably easier for me to email it to you as I'm a bit useless at IT.

Not me personally. I had it done by a guy in Swindon - I seem to recall a paintshop near the railway station. One of those guys who grumbled a lot, told you why he wouldn't be able to do a decent job on the crap you've given him . . . then did!  I seem to recall that the biggest problem was deciding where the stripes should go (tank was plain black at the time) as every photo I could find showed a different option.
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

Went out to look at my Cali tank only to find it leaking . I'm sure this has been discussed before, does anyone have any recommendations for getting broken lumps of Petseal out of a petrol tank please? Bear in mind, the T3 tank has quite a deep filler tube extending into the tank.

Odd.  I don't remember petsealing that tank. I did an FJ1200 years ago which lasted forever (pre ethanol fuel) and a GSXR750 3 years ago which has the same problem. With that I was looking at Tank Care Products in Norwich who have a really good reputation but then the lockdown hit . . .
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 08:30
When you had the tank off, the Petseal was presumably all intact. You wouldn't know it had failed unless the tank came off again. I have some American stuff which is allegedly ethanol proof, the problem is getting the old stuff out It would be shame to cut the tank when it has a good paint job on it.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 17:43
My 76 V1000 came with org paint and pinstripes were stick on laquered over. NB modern pinstripes have the backing stuff on them but also a thin clear layer on the top that has to be peeled off before painting clear coat over, the petrol proof rattle cans have very thin stuff in them very likely to run. If you are not great at spraying get the 2k clear coat done by a pro. In my experience the cost of painting just a tank with rattle cans is way more that you imagine ....meny times on smaller parts, like side panels, the paint will dry and the clear coat can then cause part or all of the paint to craze or blister , needing it all cut right back and re prime. Never had it with ols cellulose paint but the new acrylic is way more difficult hope this helps, When you look at old Guzzi manuals and pictures it appears Guzzi altered how they did pinstriping which means go with what you like 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic