guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Technical services
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Tank Pinstripes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Tank Pinstripes
    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 09:32
Hi everyone

I will soon be in a position to start painting, if I can ever get another mask!!!

I would like to replicate the paint pinstripes on the T3 for my tank and side panels. 

For those of you with the knowledge or the bikes parked up could you possibly tell me please if the white stripes are:

Hand painted. 

White pinstripe tape used. 

What looks like white base then masked then black base over the top. 

Or if anyone has done it themselves, what worked out well for you please. 

Cheers

Ian
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 09:52
Depends on your skills, innit?

Painted with lacquer over looks the dogs, if you can find someone to do it well. White stripes over (already) black tank.

Stickers are available from all the usual sources, and again look well if lacquered over. If not lacquered over, they tend to come off (ask me how I know).

Now the big money question is: does anyone know the exact configuration of the T3 tank stripes (fat/thin, thin/thin, broad curve or narrow curve), etc. etc?. Answer: no - find a variant that you like.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:38
Surely there must be at least one rivet counter amongst us?

I'm sure going back they would certainly have been hand painted. You used to be able to get special pin stripe paint brushes.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:42
The pinstripes on my 850T were a metallic gold not very sticky adhesive tape. They were factory original, very poor.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:44
Thanks for that very helpful cheers. 

I will be using clear over base, so that will take care of the paint issues and any concerns about petrol, UV and other issues.

Wouldn't use stickers not sure what they are, If I used lines it would be white Pin stripping with clear over the top, I could not see any other way of laying them on properly. 

Thank you for the information on configuration but I'm not that bothered to get a true replication down to the exact mil, just something that looks similar. 

My request is does anyone know or have to hand a bike that they can try and see the process that had been used so I can replicate that. 

If not then I would go the longer route of masking the tank and leaving the lines which is a pain, then base white the tank and panels then reverse mask and base black the tank and panels then finish with a couple of coats of clear. Then a bit of a cut and polish. 

Cheers

Ian
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:48
Ah a couple more replies popped up as I was typing, thanks for those also. 

Hand paint I was fearing cos bit too hard, but I think the machine you refer to Brian is a Belugar or something like that. Bit pricey last saw the chap demonstrating at Kempton and about £50 ish quid. 

Dave gold pin stripe, agree would have thought something a bit better, but if that's what they used a couple of coats of clear would hold it good. 

Thanks everyone

Ian
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:12
No, not a machine, a brush,

I've seen it demonstrated, but you need a very steady hand.

Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:21
This is the way to do it.....

Best without the music IMO.
Ian
1982 V50
1952 Norton ES2
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:23

There you go Ian. It's easy when you know how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:24
You see, it's easy when you know how.
Brian.

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Ian T Ian T wrote:

Thank you for the information on configuration but I'm not that bothered to get a true replication down to the exact mil, just something that looks similar. 

Applause.

Can't help with the examples, sorry, other than to offer that mine are (amateurish) DIY vinyl 'stickers' that are now peeling off.

Look forward to seeing what you achieve, if we may?
Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:36
Ha ha - easy when you know how. 

Not be doing it by hand then, far too much scrumps as a yout. 

Of course I'll show and tell, just getting me info all ready and a mask. Why would all the masks be gone?
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:49
far too much scrumps as a yout.Quote... Pardon?

Edited by Dave P. - 30 Apr 2020 at 12:52

Ian T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 13:00
Hic Dead Dead
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 13:01
Oh I see.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic