guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 swing arm bearing replacement tip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 swing arm bearing replacement tip
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 17:20
Hi all,
I've got my swing arm off prior to it being powder coated.

I've removed the taper bearing on each side. Good job I did because the taper bearings were worn, with indentations worn in the collar.

I'd bought a blind bearing kit with a slide hammer. This made taking the near side bearing out a breeze. The off side was a bit different.

The base of the off side bearing sits on the curved UJ housing. When viewed head on to the bearing there is a small gap beneath the bearing on each side, at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Because of the curve, the bearing has no gap beneath it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

A blind bearing puller has a shallow angled skirt that opens up beneath the bearing when you tighten it. This opens up larger than the bearing diameter and provides the grip for bumping the bearing out with the slide hammer.

Because of the curve beneath the bearing and the reduced gap top and bottom, it's nigh on impossible to get it to sit right as you tighten it up, it keeps slipping to one side or the other..

The set was cheap enough, so I took my dremel and ground a very shallow hollow across the underside of the bearing puller. This allowed the puller to sit neatly and tighten easily.

Then hey presto, a few bumps on the slide hammer and Bob's your auntie. Job done.

Edited by Oldrat - 30 Jan 2016 at 17:38
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
1980 LM 2, Coburn and Hughes.
2017 BMW R1200 GSA
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 17:37
Curved base

Bearing puller with shallow groove in base

2017 BMW R1200 GSA
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 20:10
spooky, just did mine last night Smile my extractor is a different design to yours, the bottom is open so didnt have the same problem...  havent tried the UJ support bearing yet !
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 20:28
Hi Neil, what condition were your bearings in. I understood that thinking has been that as they have such a small range of movement they should rarely need replacing.
Mine were badly pitted.

2017 BMW R1200 GSA
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 20:37
bearings and races all good, with plenty of what grease still in them... I expect the last time they were touched was 5 or 6 years ago when the clutch was done... yes my understanding was that they rarely wore due to the limited range of movement they go through...

chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 20:44
Thats a handy bit of kit .
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 21:07
It is Chilly, I try to buy tools as I need them. This set was off of Ebay.
Similar to this one .
Ebay No 252131876817. About £38. Or search for Inner Bearing Puller.

You can buy sets with fewer sizes, but I thought for an extra tenner, I shouldn't have to ever buy again.

The quality seems up to it.

2017 BMW R1200 GSA
chrisshrops View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:08
I need too buy one too as I'm about too strip my lemon v ,or I could just weld a bead around the bearing and let it fall out 
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 14:56
(EDIT. Whoops wrong thread   This should have gone on the shaft bearing removal thread Doh!)

UPDATE
thanks for all the suggestions. The circlip was missing, when I REALLY cleaned it up I could see the clip groove.

The solution was to firstly tap the bearing back, to try to break any seal so to speak.

Then I installed the bearing puller, tightening it right up.

Then I reversed the swing arm and dropped in a length of steel (in my case a socket bar). With a suitable size socket on the end and the unit mounted on a vice, I took three almighty swipes with a club hammer ....
And it all fell out.

Piccies when I upload them to photobucket.

Thanks again for the words o f advice and encouragement.

Edited by Oldrat - 31 Jan 2016 at 16:51
2017 BMW R1200 GSA
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 16:22
Couldn't make any sense of the description until I saw the photos, but yes very good!

Originally posted by Oldrat Oldrat wrote:

Hi Neil, what condition were your bearings in. I understood that thinking has been that as they have such a small range of movement they should rarely need replacing.
Mine were badly pitted.

I would think worse off because, like the UJ bearings rollers, they never do a complete revolution, just roll back and forth over the same small area.

Originally posted by Oldrat Oldrat wrote:

Then I reversed the swing arm and dropped in a length of steel (in my case a socket bar). With a suitable size socket on the end and the unit mounted on a vice, I took three almighty swipes with a club hammer ....
And it all fell out.

That's usually how I've done it. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic