guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Project - Bitsa!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Project - Bitsa!!!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:41
Hi, having sold my MkII Le Mans last year, I've been away for a while.

But, now I have just acquired a new project:

Don't really know what I've got - hard to read frame numbers, but engine number is: V1)*1107XX*

Log book shows a 1980 bike and engine number ties up?

Gonna be asking plenty of advice in the next few weeks.

Here's a video of it running a while back (before I got it)

https://youtu.be/El2b3LK_HBY?list=FLbJxtH6iE23551cDhTW162w

There's no spark now so will have to investigate as wirings a mess.

Apparently has hi-comp pistons, lumpy cam and some lightened rods?
Old & Bold
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 20:22
California 111 70th Anniversary Model, California 1100i 75th Anniversary Model, Honda ST1300

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 20:26
Well the video title says it's an 850 T3?

And that engine number looks like the kind of format for a frame number, 2 letters, star, 5 digits, star. In this era the engine number was just digits and bore no relation.

Your 'V1)' is more likely 'VD', which would be right for a 1980 850 T3.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Pigford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 20:50
Thanks Mike.

Had an hour or so free tonight (Mrs P gone to Book Club) so had a look at the ignition.....

LUCAS - Prince of Darkness FFS !!!

Anyhow, no power getting to the ignitor unit.... so had a fiddle with the wiring and connected a link as the ignition switch wiring is a mess.

Turned switch on - KERPHUTT... nice big backfire

Press the starter and she fired up - she's alive.
Old & Bold
Rob Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 21:39
that would look nice with wire wheels Wink
Moto Guzzi Spada t3 Cali lookalike (1980)
BMW R100/7 (1978)
BMW R100gs (1993)
Harley Davidson FXDX (2003)
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 21:54
Nice, I'll be watching progress.   Thumbs Up
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 22:41
The Rita ignition has little to do with Lucas.

Just be aware that it runs 2 x 6v coils in series, both pots sparking every time. No problem, but just might confuse if you are checking wiring.
They were a common replacement for the Motoplatt and relatively reliable.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 22:57
Yep made by Mistral Engineering, Lucas just stocked it.

Pretty good system actually provided all connections are clean and tight. The 5-way plugblock in the amplifer harness (why do they do that anyway?) has brass terminals which go brown and iffy with age, when I had mine I cut it out and soldered the wires together.

The 2-pin rubber connector for the pickup may be quite vulnerable, I wrapped mine with gaffer tape to make sure moisture couldn't get in, also cable tied around the tape so it couldn't unravel.

What Brian said 2 x 6V coils in series, however there was a version had 2 x 12V in parallel, but which needed 2 extra external diodes to be added.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 23:03
Originally posted by Pigford Pigford wrote:

Turned switch on - KERPHUTT... nice big backfire

Which reminds me, you can make Rita make a spark just by turning her on and off.

Classic test for seeing if it works, spark plugs work etc.

Note there was a warning not to run it without spark plugs connected.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:22
If you take more than a few turns to get it started it will go off like a cannon. I find it quieter on stubborn starts to switch the ignition off and back on if I need to try again to start it
Norge 1200 GT 8v   T5 Polizia
Too old to die young
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:24
Personally Rita is a tart takes a lot of battery fitted one to my V1000 guess what failed left us stranded on a Mway awaiting AA ...got home points were and back in 30 mins. With points you can usually fix and get home at least they rarely fail both sides mine never did in over 200k miles ...realised too the points set up actually gave me better top end and better acceleration the tick over seemed smoother too .....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:43
When the Rita on my 850T packed up, I too reverted to points. No more hassle.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Pigford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 13:07
Thanks for all the informative comments gentlemen!
Old & Bold
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 13:32
Never had a problem with the Rita, suppose they all die eventually just like the rest of us
Norge 1200 GT 8v   T5 Polizia
Too old to die young
Pigford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 16:31
Snuck (snook - sneaked?) into the garage this afternoon and sorted out the dodgy l/hand rear-set, it was a bit bent and stiff

Then I fitted a NOS side stand which although as we all know ain't particularly great, it's better than a worn centre stand that has the l/hand arm broken off!

A bit more messing about, a new set of plugs fitted, checked all the oils then put a bit more fuel in her. Got her down from the bike ramp and started her up.... chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff   

Time for a quick spin around the block - see if the gears/clutch brakes work???

FANTASTIC - first ride on a Guzzi since last year and it was superb fun! All the important stuff works (to a fashion), she steers and stops, goes thru all the gears and pulls like a good 'un!

Really stoked and will have to get on with sorting the lighting & seat out properly and getting ready for an MOT
Old & Bold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic