guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 clutch adjustment (groan)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 18:59
Yup, your right Mike.I had forgotten that unlike Triumph's Norton's etc the pushrod is not up against a stationary surface at one end
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 19:54
Thanks for that good info guys. I didn't know the pushrods revolved with the clutch or that the measurement was duff. So that's a start! I don't think any of the pushrods assembly can come out with the gearbox in situ, my only experience of it was in about 1981 so no memory there!
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:15
When I had problems with a rattly clutch and lack of adjustment, it turned out to be the centre of one of the clutch plates had broken up and it was just driving through the first plate and it still rode fine
not a hard job to fix, just takes a bit of time ;-)

Hopefully you can see these pics
www.facebook.com/keith.maven/media_set?set=a.3440994322299.111741.1793797950&type=3

Edited by Ken-Guzzibear - 22 Mar 2015 at 18:28
So many bikes, so little time !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 17:20
Aha. I bet it's something evil like that! Unfortunately the link was unavailable so I can't see your pics. When you say rattle, was it very loud? Mine isn't enough to notice without listening for it and goes when the clutch is disengaged
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 18:33
to sort out the clutch you have to loose the cable off then set the adjuster a very small amount of movement there makes a big difference I use a spanner on the lock nut and the same as the tappet adjuster get the end of the clutch arm as per manual by eye so it is in line to the lug on gearbox THEN adjust gearbox end and finally the lever end so the free play is correct there is a good diag in the Haynes manual  IF you cant get it to adjust check the thrust bearing FIRST if the bearing is all ok and greased then sadly it is the clutch that needs attention if you refit one get the newer deeper splined one
The Older i Get, The Better I Was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 20:02
Thanks for your reply, Ken. Dim question: can you change the thrust bearing without crabbing frame etc?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 22:03
That's what I was suggesting, problee need swingarm off to get better access.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 01:15
You could only hear my clutch when you turned the engine off, the broken inner spline from the clutch plate would then spin on the gearbox input shaft until it had lost its momentum, it sounded like a roulette wheel !

You may be able to see a couple of pics here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124005478@N05/with/14807921359/

Edited by Keef Mayhem - 23 Mar 2015 at 01:24
So many bikes, so little time !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 08:00
Ok then, swinging arms coming off. Need to get some cash together first incase it all goes to pot and end up with a new clutch. Funny, when I was twenty I'd have just gone straight out and got stuck into it at the roadside. Now I find I'll do anything to avoid pulling it apart. Hey ho. Many thanks for all the answers and help.
RayMan View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 10:23
Hi all. I'm new to this Forum so a big hello to everyone who has the same passion
From my experience a shim added to the inner side of the clutch actuator thrust bearing should bring your lever out to a better angle. Hope this helps.
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:10
Welcome onboard Ray and thanks for the suggestion 

Thumbs Up
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:21
Hi Ray, welcome. What an obvious solution! Worth remembering that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic