guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Cali Refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 07:52
Looks really good and impressed by the progress you have made.
ed.bremner View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed.bremner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:36
Oh and thanks from me also, with advice on getting the UJ back into place.

Not sure whether it was the fridge/heat approach or the driveshaft to keep straight, but it knocked in easily enough this time with a couple of good knocks from the hammer.  

Thanks again.

I have only got to put everything back together now, oh - and fit new tyres....shouldn't be too long.

Only wish mine looked half as clean and sparkly as this one!

Best wishes

eib

1977 850 T3 California Rosso
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:09
Very clean.
chrisshrops View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 19:21
Ohh this is looking smart
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 20:47
Distributor fitted and timing set.  Probably would have been better to fit an electronic ignition, but I've spent more than I budgeted already.  What I could do with is a set of contact plate screws as mine are pretty chewed up.  Again - if anyone knows a source of these I'd appreciate it.
I'm passing Gutsibits tomorrow so I'll pick up some alternator brushes and ask if they have the screws.

I've lost the energy to get the crankcase and gearbox soda blasted and I've got a big box of nice clean frame parts to unwrap - so I started by fitting the sub frame parts.  I have to say, some of my home zinc plating is a bit ropey, but you'll have to have good eyesight to examine the bits down here!

Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 16:15
I've never got around to buying a set of spring compressors for the rear shocks.  For lighter bikes it's really no problem to compress the spring by hand to get the locating collet out.  My Cali has fairly decent Koni Dial A Rides which I stripped, cleaned up and got the springs powder coated.  I'll just share with you my method of getting the springs back on the shock....
Put the spring in a Workmate.  A vice would be better but the jaws on mine don't open far enough.
Get some big cable ties and space 4 around the spring.  3 is too risky as they can slip around.  Tighten the jaws of the workmate a little and take up the slack in the cable ties.  Keep doing this until the spring is about 1 cm shorter than  you need.  Slaken off the Workmate, pop the spring over the damper, fit the collet, then snip through the cable ties.
Yes I should buy the spring compressors, but this method works every time for me!

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 17:12
Ah, you can do that sort of thing in Cheltenham, but have pity for those in Yorkshire, I mean, just think of the cost of those cable ties. LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 17:30
Brian - I'm a Yorkshireman exiled in Cheltenham....
Those cable ties are a quid a bag from the Classic Bike Show.  I reckon I've got enough cable ties for my quid to see my days out.  Better value than throwing it away on some fancy spring compressors!

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 17:50
Of course. I used rope last time I had to compress a spring.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 20:23
Tell me guys - what exactly is the purpose of the threaded boss on the left lower rail?  I'm pretty sure amongst my pile of bits I don't have anything to attach to it.  Please enlighten me!

I was dreading putting the UJ back in the swing arm.  Thanks for all the tips on this point.  My preparation was to make pile of wooden blocks for the short side on the swingarm and have the long side on the floor.  The flange to connect to the bevel box is so big that you can hang the centre of it outside the block support base.  UJ into the Freezer overnight.  Swing arm in the oven at 75c.  Working quickly, put the swingarm on the block base, driveshaft in to sort of centre the UJ, one smart smack with a soft hammer and the UJ was seated.  I think the temp differential was the most important factor.  I used the highest temperature I dared which I thought wouldn't liquify the grease in the UJ bearing.  Let's hope 75c was OK!

Assembly going quite well.  Still a way to go and I'm still waiting on the wheels / tank / side panels returning.  Get the nice blingy new Voxbells.  Cheapest source for these is Ducati Paddy.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 08:03
If it's any help, my own CaliT3 has that same empty lug on the LH frame rail. I just went and peered under the (wet) cover.

Maybe something to do with the rear brake contraption, were the frame destined to hold an IDRO?

@Italianmotor - what you got?
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 08:57
Yep, got the same, think you're right about it being something to do with Convert handbrake mechanism, wouldn't be surprised if police manual T3s didn't have a similar setup to stop it all moving back when they had to jump off pronto and chase baddies.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
ed.bremner View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed.bremner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 09:05
Yup,

agree, part of the handbrake system, to go with the little caliper on the back brake.  Useful if parking on a hill I think.

I quite like the idea, I think if I could find the bits, I would be tempted to re-install.

eib

1977 850 T3 California Rosso
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 09:25
Good pic and explanantion here, Convert owners will know this already:
http://catalog-moto.com/moto-guzzi_2/moto-guzzi-convert-v1000-was-motorcycle.html

Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 10:01
Great info - thanks.  Also explains the cable stop on the frame which was another mystery to me.  I'm certainly broadening my horizons here...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic