guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1200 SPORT 2V 2008 - WON'T PLAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 09:30
Thanks Brian, the search for poor connection / cable goes on. 
My dash was only showing 12.1 volts BEFORE any load was induced by the starter solenoid, and I think this is far enough below correct voltage to prevent any attempt at starting.
I just need to find the culprit.

Now: Benelli Tornado, V10 Centauro,
Previous: Yamaha FS1E, Kawasaki S1 250, Benelli 900 Sei, Triumph Super111,Griso 1100, Benelli Tornado, Norge GT8V,   Futura, Falco, 2008 1200 Sport 2v
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:43
Not sure but have come across No Start Code when searching ASPB 0016. My dash on reconnect has ASPB 0015. Is the number just MAP/Board revision! and not related to an issue.

A pointless video of charging and voltage drop on start:

I know the No Start error is a spanner in the works but I'm wondering about key programming or if the MAP has been updated or some such.

Possibly, but then user code may be displayed Ouch 

Or like as said. Earth and other Contacts.

I've just tried starting with fewer fuses. No reason, just a test and another video.

I really don't know but may limit circuits for fault finding. But don't know.
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 14:40
Update 19 apr 2019 -

I am such an idiot !!! After all that has been done up to now it should have started ! A new battery was probably needed but at the last post I still could not get anything to work - why ?

I went in the garage this morning, turned on the ignition just to see - bike was in neutral - I know this because it wheels back and forth without the clutch in - but the green neutral warning light wasn't lit. I accidentally nudged the gear lever the merest touch and the green light came on. Then pressed the starter and the bike sprung into life !!!
Took the bike for a first 20 odd mile run and all is well - and starts on demand. A simple oversight. Maybe if I had used the bike for a while before taking it to bits I would have been more familiar with it.
So thanks for all the good advice, people. I have finally got it working.    

Previous: Yamaha FS1E, Kawasaki S1 250, Benelli 900 Sei, Triumph Super111,Griso 1100, Benelli Tornado, Norge GT8V,   Futura, Falco, 2008 1200 Sport 2v
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 15:09
Hi great news . Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 15:46
Thumbs Up

That's going to be my first reply from now on. Is it in neutral with the dash indicator light lit. Not, Rip the dashboard apart, remove the wheels and hit the left head with a hammer. Embarrassed

Easy to forget after 6 months.

Good call and share Beer
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 16:55
Do you want to hear a funny story about the time I chased a non start fault for the same reason?

I didn't think you would.

But at least I knew the start button contacts were clean.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 17:06
I will never forget my friends GT250 that would not start  100 miles from h   home after a night B&B   rode British bikes at the time so after hours of checking things out I asked what's this , oh yes it's called a kill switch
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 19:50

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

I will never forget my friends GT250 that would not start  100 miles from h   home after a night B&B   rode British bikes at the time so after hours of checking things out I asked what's this , oh yes it's called a kill switch

Used to be a jolly wheeze in the old days to turn someone's kill switch off LOL

Oh what larks.

To this day I still check it before starting.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
graham550 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 08:29
Repeated in my head all day long, of course Mike !!

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:31
I even fitted a little red LED to my kill switch to indicate it was in the kill position. I still missed it one day immediately after an MOT. I never normally used it, they did.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:09
Ah, kill switches.....

I have never used them. One day my younger brother rolled up and I let him have a ride on my 955i Tiger. He brought it back an hour later with the tyres smoking and the engine ticking. I put it away in the garage.

A couple of days later, I got it out. Would it start? I spent about an hour looking for blown fuses, disconnections etc before my eye lighted on the kill switch which he'd used to stop the bike. Modern youth of today eh?

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:55
I love the way a post can bring back so many memoriesThumbs Up
OldJohnboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJohnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 16:26
No, you're not an idiot Graham550 - just 'normal' !
Most, if not all, of us have been there.
Just yesterday I was cursing an old Kawasaki I'm currently resuscitating. It wouldn't start - The fuel tap was turned off.
Later, because there is a slope in front my garage, I had put the bike in gear to prevent it rolling backwards (no centre stand) and, of course, it wouldn't start in gear would it? I was huffing and puffing; 'What now? I wish I'd never got this thing.' Angry etc.etc. Then my friend pointed out the bleedin' obvious. Red face time - again!  Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic