guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

alternator energizing bulb wattage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator energizing bulb wattage
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 15:50
Hi all getting to the last part of rebuilding my mk2 v50, I am having trouble with the charging, I have tested the alternator stator and rotor and all tests ok there I have also tested the diode board and all is well just the regulator now, my question is I have a 1.2 watt bulb fitted in the alternator light reading the bmw R system (which is the same as my guzzi) had a 4 watt bulb fitted as it energizes the rotor magnet and charges at a much lower rpm, I now believe that the 1.2 watt I have is to much of a resistor to energize the rotor properly, I cant find a bulb of this size to fit the dash bulb holder the biggest I can find is 2.3 watt, Am I correct in this thinking or barking up the wrong tree, thanks all re Alistair   
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 16:26
I thought the normal size was a 2.2W bulb. Never seen anything higher fitted before. Certainly a little more current flowing will help the lower RPM start up.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ali View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 16:51
Cheers for the info, gets a bit baffling reading things on the internet
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 18:47
All the ones I saw (including literature) were 1.2 Watts. What kind of regulator is it?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 19:57
I know 1.2W is commonly specified for the Bosch alternators on BMW and Guzzi. But all others specify minimum of 2.2W.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ali View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 07:50
bosch system cheers
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:43
The Bosch CWL 1.2 v ..... you can pop 2.2v in the others 

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic