guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM1 side stand......is cra*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:21
i fitted the Guzzibits side stand to my MK3 its sooo much better than the original and i dont have to be afraid of dropping it and damaging the tank!
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 19:24
Oh I forgot the picture

jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 09:10
Originally posted by Ianboydsnr Ianboydsnr wrote:

Oh I forgot the picture

That has to be one of the best-looking Tontis I've seen, congratulations !
It makes one wonder what a lot of artsy-fartsy, no-mudguards "custom" builders think they're doing.
Thumbs Up
Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 13:57
Well Brian it seems the previous owner got there first on the mk2....never noticed to be honest..will have to do this on the other bike.
Plus maybe add a small nubb so that I can actually catch it with me foot first time.
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 19:30
Originally posted by jpc jpc wrote:

Originally posted by Ianboydsnr Ianboydsnr wrote:

Oh I forgot the picture

That has to be one of the best-looking Tontis I've seen, congratulations !
It makes one wonder what a lot of artsy-fartsy, no-mudguards "custom" builders think they're doing.
Thumbs Up

Thanks
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 19:43
Hi, being the original poster, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has been very interesting.
I still think that the best "half decent" side stand option for me is the sensibly priced Guzzi mid frame mounted version. I have looked at my bike with regard to fitting one, and the only potential problem is that the exhaust pipes run quite close to the frame which could possibly cause interference problems, but I will have to buy one and go from there.

BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:35
Originally posted by ReggieV ReggieV wrote:

Hi, being the original poster, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. It has been very interesting.
I still think that the best "half decent" side stand option for me is the sensibly priced Guzzi mid frame mounted version. I have looked at my bike with regard to fitting one, and the only potential problem is that the exhaust pipes run quite close to the frame which could possibly cause interference problems, but I will have to buy one and go from there. 

I've got the mid mount on my Mk2. It's the same bracket as the front mount! Unfortunately even here the sidestand has the bike too upright, it catches on the centre stand and on the exhaust when up. I've a bit of bending and whacking to do!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 13:06
I had to do that on the Spada 3. I bent the big plate a little to put the foot of the stand further from the wheel line. Had oxy-acetylene at the time, so bending was easier.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 20:49
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I had to do that on the Spada 3. I bent the big plate a little to put the foot of the stand further from the wheel line. Had oxy-acetylene at the time, so bending was easier.

I have a large secure vice, a lump hammer and some "Pro-gas." If I need to I will be able to bend it. As a last resort I have a friend who has an oxy acetylene system. Tongue
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 21:33
Originally posted by BondEquipe BondEquipe wrote:

I've got the mid mount on my Mk2. It's the same bracket as the front mount! Unfortunately even here the sidestand has the bike too upright, it catches on the centre stand and on the exhaust when up. I've a bit of bending and whacking to do!

Bracket is not the same for mid- and front mount.
I bought a mid mount side stand off eBay before I gave it up and decided to fit the Triumph stand.
So now I have both the original LMIII- and a LM1000 stand resting under my work bench.
The LMIII stand is slightly longer than the LM1000 one, didn't measure them though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 16:11
Originally posted by Kidneb Kidneb wrote:

Bracket is not the same for mid- and front mount.
I bought a mid mount side stand off eBay before I gave it up and decided to fit the Triumph stand.
So now I have both the original LMIII- and a LM1000 stand resting under my work bench.
The LMIII stand is slightly longer than the LM1000 one, didn't measure them though.

Fair enough - didn't take the front one off to check.  Which is which of those 2 as the lower one looks far more usable . . .
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 18:33
Forward mount top - mid mount bottom.

Also see gutsibits links in PO`s first post, scroll down to 3rd and 4th item.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 18:47
Originally posted by Kidneb Kidneb wrote:

Forward mount top - mid mount bottom.
No, I meant the actual stand.  I know the top one but don't recognise the lower one.
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 20:07
Sorry Stephen

All I can say for sure is that the top one came off my LMIII, imported from Italy with 25000km on the clock.
I bought the lower one off eBay as a LM1000 stand, but I cannot be 100% sure if that is correct or whether the welded on peg is original or not,- looks like it though.

//Ben  
GuzzTim View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzzTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 14:38

I'm pretty sure Barry's right - you just need the bracket and longer bolts to mid-mount a side stand.

For this LM4 project, I found a 1000S side stand on ebay and got the bracket from Stein Dinse https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=70410

Edited by GuzzTim - 19 Mar 2019 at 14:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic