guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM1 side stand......is cra*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 22:15
Even the MK4/5 side stands aren’t very good, when the bike is loaded up with camping gear it’s very easy for the bike to tip over due to the stand being tucked well under the bike when deployed 🙁
So many bikes, so little time !
Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 07:02
I must admit back in the 90,s being in a cafe with a mate and a bloke comes & says:
“are they your 2 bikes out there laying in the road?”
We rush out in the heat to discover my side stand on my 1000s had sunk into the hot tarmac, my bike had fallen over onto me mates Le Mans mk3 and both had fallen over.....

I’ve tried to be a better space cadet since then...lol
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 07:31
Well my mod on the Norge sidestand has stood the test of time. Been used in fields and not sunk in.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:57
I use a puch like many but do accasionally forget to take it out....so after looking at your proper modification & the newer clamp on buys from eBay I’m thinking of schedule sometime with my welding machine....and maybe create something similar Brian.....stand the test of time too...Could have my own leg for a Guzzi Lunar module...lol

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:55
Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

I use a puch like many...

Me too. I've been known to lean a Guzzi against this, when it's parked up in The Dark Barn for the winter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 13:50
haaahhh....that’s put a smile on me face....far better than a pad...lol

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 14:06
The front tyre looks a bit bald Ermm
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 15:00
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Or do this.

Or this

After too many years with the crappy and dangerous side stand I finally fitted a Triumph/BSA stand.
I had to fabricate a bracket and weld it on to the lower rail, not a straight forward job, but man- what a relief it was to get it done !
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 17:20
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 18:06
The one in the first link looks like its zinc coated or galvanised, the welding is untidy and not cleaned off. For  $279 you would think they would try a bit harder!

The one in the second link looks different. It looks like it's made from stainless steel. The finish and general assembly looks much better.

They are a lot of money for what they are in my opinion 
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 19:20
This looks like someone used two of the sump screws plus what I imagine is a blind hole into the sump extension. Clever work, but C.G. wise maybe a bit close to "rollover" point !

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 19:54
Originally posted by Chris950s Chris950s wrote:

The one in the first link looks like its zinc coated or galvanised, the welding is untidy and not cleaned off. For  $279 you would think they would try a bit harder!
Don't think there is any coating on the weld. very amateurish.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
sutty View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 00:44
Yes a bit better but still crap when loaded as you'll remember Wink, I've got another batch of cali side stand brackets made if anyone needs one, tried to post a pic but failed ..pm me for details £18 Inc UK postage..
Keith
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 19:34
When I built my LM2 cafe, it came without a centre stand or a side stand, I just made a side stand to fit, decided not to buy a centre stand, if the bike needs to be upright, I just put a block of wood under the sump.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:09
I'd be a bit worried about attaching it to the sump casting, especially via bolts / threaded holes that weren't designed to take the load. But I confess I know little about the model. I have of course experienced the "will it won't it" moment as I carefully lower the V50 onto the prop stand....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic