guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM1 side stand......is cra*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LM1 side stand......is cra*
    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 11:14
I'm interested in getting any ideas on how I could improve the Le Mans 1 side stand, which I realise will probably mean fitting  something completely different. On the few occasions that I have deployed it, the bike looks as if it is imminently about to fall over onto the deck with all of the associated damage, therefore it remains generally unused, and if used, only whilst I open the garage door or something where it isn't left unattended.

I have been looking at this slightly modified one.
Scroll down to the third item.

In the information it says that the length of the stand is 250mm long from the pivot to the base of the stand which is the same as the one already fitted, so I would assume that there is no advantage in replacing it with this slightly modified (in the spring design) from the original offering. Has anybody tried one of these?

So any ideas would be welcome.

Edited by ReggieV - 09 Mar 2019 at 11:17
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:17
I have the same misgivings and only ever use the Tonti sidestand on slight inclines.
No idea if the Gutsibits one is an improvement, but your post reminded me of this one:

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 14:34
The mid mount type does work better I think.

It might be possible to fit the Cali type stand, but i think that would require a new bottom rail too.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 15:39
Reggie, the one on your link at Gutsibits is like the one I had on my 850T which fell over because the stand is held with a single bolt. Brian's suggestion is better but looks a bit huge on a Le Mans, you will need a California LH bottom frame rail as he suggests or get some lugs welded onto yours.
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 15:40
Thanks for the replies jpc and Brian.
The kit sold by MG Cycle is available from Gutsibits and Stein Dinse also. It appears to use the bracket that is used for the LM4 and 1000S side stand with the standard 250mm stand and the "two spring" system. According to the blurb on MG Cycle there may be conflict between the centre stand deployment arm and the side stand, but it is worth consideration. Also it says as Brian has said, that it will keep the motorcycle more vertical when fitted at the mid frame location, which is what I'm trying to achieve.

The bracket is also available separately from Stein Dinse at 42 Euro.
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 15:45
Chris and Brian, I think that the California side stand, although excellent would look a bit disproportionate on an LM1...….it's not that I'm vain or anything. Embarrassed 
But it would solve the issue without a doubt.Thumbs Up
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by ReggieV ReggieV wrote:

Thanks for the replies jpc and Brian.
The kit sold by MG Cycle is available from Gutsibits and Stein Dinse also. It appears to use the bracket that is used for the LM4 and 1000S side stand with the standard 250mm stand and the "two spring" system. According to the blurb on MG Cycle there may be conflict between the centre stand deployment arm and the side stand, but it is worth consideration. Also it says as Brian has said, that it will keep the motorcycle more vertical when fitted at the mid frame location, which is what I'm trying to achieve.

The bracket is also available separately from Stein Dinse at 42 Euro.

On my SPIII, I found the stand kept the bike a bit too vertical, ended up taking the big thick bracket off and putting a slight crease in it to allow the stand foot to be further from the wheel line.

Had oxy-acetylene then.
Brian.

kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 16:51
Mk4 or 5 sidestand, longer gearbox and centre stand bolts....further back and can be deployed with yer foot from the seat.
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 00:09
wot she said Big smile

Ah yes the old as-much-use-as-chocolate-fireguard sidestand LOL

Not just LM's, I think anything that's not a G5 or a Cali. I used to carry a square of plywood around everywhere. And on one trip, as I recall, patented sidestand deployment tool Mk 1 (a stick off of a tree).

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

The mid mount type does work better I think.

It might be possible to fit the Cali type stand, but i think that would require a new bottom rail too.

I did this, and yes it does. Awesome sidestand tho, works on anything.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:15
Thanks for everybody's comments.

I think the only real option is to get the mid-frame mounted version. I just can't see a Cali stand not looking a bit too much out of place on an LM1, but at least it's been confirmed that a new slightly updated stand (the spring system) will be as poor as the existing one.

I do have a California T3 in pieces in my loft, and so I will today get out the side stand to confirm my suspicions that this option is a non starter.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:28
FWIW - I *think* that the side stand supplied in the 'mid-engine' kit is the same as the original - what does differ (obviously) is the mount position and bracket. So I watched and eventually got just the bracket somewhat cheaper on the fleabay.

As @kateguy pointed out, though, you will then need a longer rear engine mounting bolt, and longer left side centre stand mounting bolt. Longer by about 5mm, if memory serves - that being the width of the mounting bracket. I cut (had cut down for me) a spare *front* engine mounting bolt which I had kicking about. The same is true, frankly, if you buy the 'kit' because none of them provide the longer bolts that you will need.

HTH.

But I could be wrong.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 14:15
I have never re-fitted my side stand as I find it easy to put the bike on the main stand
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 20:03
You could always approach this from the “ climate change ....bugger it’s getting hotter and hotter year by year” so much so the tarmac is getting so incredible soft I,m a gonna use a nice solid kick stand support pad.....say 15mm thick...no chance of the stand sinking in and it would coincidentally raise the lean of the bike...
Nice and easy with this sort of thing....

Edited by Bushymusic - 10 Mar 2019 at 20:48
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 20:58
Or do this.

Brian.

Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 21:43
Is that one of the spares of the Apollo lunar module....Earth to Brain..........don’t lean it too fare it will fall...OVER!!,
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic