guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank rust killer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank rust killer
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 21:28
guys, i used a derusting agent i haven't  tried before called Deox C. It is quite remarkable. I can wholly recommend it. The inside of my tank looks like new! Didn't  get to start up today as the new pattern fuel tap leaks .....typical. oh and my tank filler cap has given up as well now. The sprung plate that keeps it all in tension sheared in half. 38 years old and it decides to do it now. Still, better than after filling up and miles away from home i spose
Mark Serj
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 21:54
Does it leave a protective coating after?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 08:53
hi Brian. Not according to the paperwork. The suppliers said to use a fuel stabiliser occasionally to prevent recurrence. I imagine a rust killer that leaves a protective film or coating afterwards that works would be unlikely. It certainly has been in my experience 
Regards 
Mark 
Mark Serj
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:21
I was thinking of de-rusting the inside of my tank and then getting the inside hot zinc sprayed. Any thoughts?

Edited by Chris950s - 03 Mar 2019 at 11:25
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:11
Phosphoric acid is the chemical normally used for removing rust. To some extent it does protect afterwards.

Regarding zinc, can you get that all over the inside with no gaps?
I know you can get stuff like Galvafroid paint, but doubt that would work immersed in petrol.
Brian.

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:59
I have an aircraft filler that makes access a little easier, maybe the thing to do is strip the paint off the outside as well as de-rust inside and then electroplate the whole tank with zinc. Etch primer to the outside and then repaint. It needs new paint anyway.

Galvafroid is a paint, it is zinc rich but still a paint, I think it would be affected by petrol. Hot zinc spraying is a possibility I will ask my local galvanisers.
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:07
The internal surface of the tank can't be zinc-spayed. 

Electroplating in the usual way would be one option, but you might be able to find someone who does hot-dipping (i.e. the entire tank would be immersed in a solution of molten zinc). The second option is better as it leaves a thicker layer of zinc on the treated surface. However, modern environmental considerations may already have consigned this option to history.
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:21
Hot dip zinc coating or galvanising, would leave the finish on the outside of the tank too rough for the paint finish I would require. The zinc reacts with the steel and leaves a boundary layer of steel/zinc alloy between the steel and zinc which is self healing, but the finish can be rough. 

I think I am down to two options, first, remove the rust and use Petseal (or similar) on the inside (if they make an ethanol proof product) and repaint the outside. Second, remove the rust and paint and zinc electroplate the whole tank then repaint the outside on an etch primer. 

I will talk to local painters and platers. 

PS I like the sound of Deox C and the price on the Interweb is not bad.
Chris and Karen - Essex
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:33
Personally I'm delighted with the result!
Mark Serj
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 14:44
Frosts do an internal tank sealant.
Brian.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 16:16
https://www.frost.co.uk/how-do-i-repair-my-fuel-tank

Edited by Brian UK - 04 Mar 2019 at 16:29
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic