guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cush drive confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cush drive confusion
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 20:20
hi
I have what I am pretty sure is a LM2 rear wheel without Cush drive rubbers and drive plate. I also have a later wheel which I think is a LM5 with plate and rubbers and my understanding from looking at the relevant parts diagrams is that the plate and rubbers are the same for both models.
My problem - when I put the rubbers in the earlier wheel the rubbers are so close together in their pairs that I can't get the drive plate on, I have tried a reasonable amount of force but can't get the drive plate on.
Am I missing something here?
Is anybody able to confirm that the plate and rubbers I have are interchangeable between wheels?
Thanks in advance
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 21:50
Silicone grease is your friend.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 22:04
While I don't know about the compatibility of your parts, the fit between the vanes and the rubbers should be very tight. 
Smearing the vanes with brake calliper grease(no other !) is what's needed to assemble the cush drive with only "reasonable force", when parts are compatible and new or as-new.

[cross-posted Smile]

Edited by jpc - 19 Feb 2019 at 22:07
David View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 22:47
ok thanks will try again with the appropriate grease, i appreciate it needs to be tight but this just seems a little too tight to get the plate on
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 08:51
New rubber inserts are hard, many drill holes in them to make them more flexible.
Brian.

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:42
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Silicone grease is your friend.

And less is more.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

And less is more.

A recent government funded study has confirmed that less is, in fact, less.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 00:45

New rubber inserts are hard, many drill holes in them to make them more flexible.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 17:47

That's a good idea,- much softer feel ! 
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 20:22
and much better cush too ! At one point mine was absolutely rigid so I did this mod and got it all out, de-rusted and put in clean grease.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 21:20
From personal experience, if they get too solid they you can wreck the U/J too.
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 00:10
Yes the reason why they exist at all is to buffer the drive train.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 07:55
It will also destroy later floating disc carriers, where the bobbins sit. the Half round bits had gone oval. The disc itself was surprisingly OK as were the bobbins.
Brian.

David View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 20:48
ok so thanks for the advice with this and just to conclude.
I failed to get the plate back on despite the use of grease. I took it to a nice chap in leatherhead who agreed it wouldn't go together as the rubbers were just so tight so he ground them down a little and managed to get it back on of me.
So all good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic