guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swing arm bushes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swing arm bushes
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 20:43
I had my moto guzzi MOT'd in Dec and they put an advisory on the swing arm bushes. As anybody any information or advice on getting this job done? 

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 21:29
The "bushes" are actually ball races. They can get worn, but equally likely the side float adjustment might not be correct.
It's a long time since I played with one of those, so hopefully someone will be along with a better knowledge than me. (Or memory).
Look at page 82, diagram 102 in this workshop manual.
And on page 83 is the description of how to adjust it.

I know it's the later model, but that bit is just the same.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 21:33
Never changed mine the bike is 42 yrs old with well over 250k  miles up the trick is grease them and make sure the outers are screwed in equally each side and it is until it gets tight then back 1/4 turn if you feel the bearings crunching then replace them easy job but you do need the correct puller
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 22:53
Which model are we talking about?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 22:55
OK just seen it on another topic, V50 MkII, 1980

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jeanette View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 19:59
Thanks Brian, that is really useful to know and the manual is really clear. I did get one with the bike but your seems a lot more detailed. I have family over in Perth Australia and there was a moto guzzi dealer close by to my sons place so I bought the bearings and washer just in case. I have asked a local mechanic to have a look at it who I know so hopefully he will be able to put it right  The puller you mentioned, is that a special tool to get the bearings out? 
Jeanette View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 20:03
Thank you for the advice Ken. You mentioned a puller to get the bearings of. Is that a special tool and if so do you know what it is called? 
Jeanette View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 20:13
Sorry for the late replied, it takes me awhile to get back on here and be able to reply. Hopefully I will get the hang of it! 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 21:35
The bearings are in a blind hole in the gearbox, so you need an internal puller, one which hooks under the inner race.

Would that be Thunderbikes in Perth by any chance? All I know in Australia speak highly of them.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jeanette View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 19:47
Hi Brian, yes it was thunderbikes in Perth and the guy I spoke to Mario was very helpful and put the parts I bought on manual book where they went so I could take a pic with my phone. 
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 11:36
Agree with all that plus there is a shim/spacer on the left hand side between the swingarm and frame...perhaps this is missing as it is a bit of a PITA and easely missplaced.

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 13:10
Recently did this job on my Monza and it proved to be a right PITA with me finally using the Dremel to cut the inner race away before my `blind puller` would even budge the outers. This was following much heat being applied and even more foul language. In my case one of the bearings was `running rough` probably down to PO using sand blaster to clean engine
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic