guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time out on the beast.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time out on the beast.
    Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 20:14

It wasn't far but I did it. I got out and rode my V7. It's been almost 6 months since my accident and it was good.

I have never owned an “upright” bike before so it was always going to be different. What with that, going back to a gearchange on the right, drum brakes and all new riding kit including a new helmet made everything feel a bit weird. The weirdness lasted all of half a mile! I soon got into the swing of it.

It may be a bit of a beast but it seems to have a fair turn of speed and the brakes are thankfully adequate. I might have to do something to the brake pedal as it feels too low. I don’t think I can move it on the splines as the starter motor is in the way. I might have to fasten a block to it.

I called round to see “Gerwyn the tyres” and we agreed that I should replace these. They are at least 20 and possibly over 30 years old. Date codes are pre 2000 type and could be for '91 and '93 or even '81 and '83. The bike left government service in '86 and has had virtually no use since then so the 80s is really possible. He couldn’t match internet prices so I’ll get ‘em and he’ll fit ‘em.

Tucked up for the night.

1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 20:17
Great.
GU221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GU221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 23:22
Love that bike!
Bellagio 940T
T3
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 01:04
A loop will bore into your soul.Dunno why, but they have a certain je ne sais quoi,or as it's said in my homeland,"Ahh divvent Knaa wot."
Anyway,glad you enjoyed the ride and many more to come!!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 06:46
Great to see you out and about on a bike again.

I keep thinking, every time I see it, "it's very red, isn't it!"

1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
Lemon 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemon 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:03
well done John .
Dazed and Confused

Le Mans Mk2
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:28
Excellent! Thumbs Up
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 13:31
Congratulations. It makes you feel alive again when you get back on a bike.
Lemon 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemon 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 13:44
I've just noticed on the rear view the tiny pee holes on the silencers wow, what do they sound like ?
Dazed and Confused

Le Mans Mk2
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 17:59
really pleased for youThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 19:25
has anyone else seen the vindorado Billy Joel has? a cali vintage that has the tank/side panels and such made to look like an Eldorado?
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 22:35
Originally posted by Lemon 2 Lemon 2 wrote:

I've just noticed on the rear view the tiny pee holes on the silencers wow, what do they sound like ?

Still sounds like a typical Guzzi! Perhaps a little bit tinny. I read somewhere that US bikes had the ends of the silencers cut off before plating to make the holes bigger and let a bit more noise out.

My mate, Bunny, said it sounded like his old Ural!
1954? Superalce

toastmuncher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastmuncher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 08:03
My loop has just been bought a 1950 steib zeppelin sidecar, thats a mess too. Cry
Guzzi:- V7 loop/ Quota/ Cally solo/ Cally outfit/ Nuovo falcone/ V75sp, and some other stuff too.
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 19:39
Originally posted by toastmuncher toastmuncher wrote:

My loop has just been bought a 1950 steib zeppelin sidecar, thats a mess too. Cry

Expensive but just the job!
http://www.kijiji.it/annunci/ricambi-e-accessori/terni-annunci-terni/forcella-earles-moto-guzzi-v7-1972/76995690
1954? Superalce

v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 20:48
Out again today for what is only my third ride. Went to a Guzzi Club meet on The-Big-Red-One. Furthest I've been yet - 60 miles each way. My wrist held up ok and all seemed fine with the bike. Got home and back in the garage to find  this

Looks like the big seal has let go in the drive box. I've had 3 Guzzis with 4 drive boxes and this will make 4 times I've had to do this job. Replacing the seal's not hard but, it's usually failed because there's a rust spot somewhere on the drive hub. Out of the 3 I've done before - 1 cleaned up with a scotchbrite pad, 1 had a pit filled with epoxy filler and 1 was so bad it had to be replaced. Wonder what I'll find this time.

It's a nuisance but it's what you get when you run a bike that's stood unused for quite some time.
1954? Superalce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic