guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starter safety cut outs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter safety cut outs
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 23:45
Hi guys I just want to check my bike is as it should be, to start my bike I have to pull the clutch lever in even with the stand up and the gearbox in neutral is this correct for a v7 classic 2008. Dave.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 08:34
The wiring diagram shows shows a clutch switch, neutral switch and a side stand switch that would all stop the starter working. 
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 11:16
The owners' manual is not much help. It just says Press the button and the starter motor spins the engine
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
dave mike View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 14:15
if there are any other v7 classic owners out there reading this could you verify that this is as it should be. as i have never had a bike you have to pull the clutch lever to start the engine.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 15:47
We have several, but none have visited since you posted.
However I'm sure I remember someone saying this was the case.

Brian.

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 16:33
Some Guzzi models have to have clutch lever pulled in to start. Lawyers think we are not checking if engine is in gear. I believe it's because some people like to sue 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 17:03
Common sense is no longer a legal neccessity.

Brian.

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 19:01
There is a clutch switch on the wiring diagram, so you are supposed to do it Smile
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 20:47
yeh you need to pull the cl;utch bud .....top tip read the manual xxxxx
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
dave mike View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 23:03
I would read the manual if I had one. but bought my bike after being crashed so very little info came with the bike.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 07:48
The manual doesn't help, and I gave a link to one above.

And this is the workshop manual.
Brian.

motomike1400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motomike1400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 09:18
V7 classic owner. Yep, clutch in to start. In neutral, or in gear.

Another thing. Always select neutral and switch off with key...otherwise it'll sometimes show the amber engine idiot light. Clears on it's own, in it's own time. Not a problem but annoying.

Lovely little bikes. Took mine out yesterday in preference to the 1290 S.Duke, Africa Twin, or Bonny. Sometimes less is more.

V7 Classic. 1800 Touring Goldwing. Honda Africa Twin 1000. Kawa Z900RS Cafe. SWM300RS. Folding moped thingy.
Though these may change🤔
Now thinking less is more🤔
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 09:45
Lots of manuals are available on line bud, sorry remark looked harsh wasn't meant to 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:24
Switch on, clutch in, press button, vrooom!
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 18:50
Originally posted by motomike1400 motomike1400 wrote:

V7 classic owner. Yep, clutch in to start. In neutral, or in gear.

We have to be protected from ourselves ...

Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic