guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 850 GT not charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 850 GT not charging
    Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:11
Good day, 
I have tested my battery with TopDon, battery is in good health, state of charge 98%.
I realized that I have an issue when it would not perform a cranking test.
(TopDon would not recognise engine running)
The multimeter reading is below 12v even when increasing revs.

What is the best way to diagnose this and eventually sort out this charging problem?

p.s. Bike has no idiot lights.
thanks
el__burro

Edited by el__burro - 05 Feb 2019 at 16:20
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 12:59
Have a look on YouTube. There are various videos on testing dynamos/generators and voltage control units. I've found them very useful when my fading memory isn't up to the task.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 18:15
Here is what I have..

Edited by el__burro - 05 Feb 2019 at 18:22
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 18:24
I can see 6 wires when on diagram are only 4.

Edited by el__burro - 05 Feb 2019 at 18:29
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 19:55
I’m no expert, but I have just rewired my 73 Eldorado which I’ve really enjoyed especially as everything now works as it should. Looking at the terminals and state of the wire on that photo you may well be doing a lot of chasing around a loom that looks very old. 
Ian
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 20:02
Those blue crimp connectors says "someone's been in here before". Too many wires says "modifications". Don'tcha just luv 'em LOL

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 21:44
One of your extra wires may have supplied the missing charging lamp.This supply can come from the VR unit or the dynamo.How many wires are connected to your dynamo? There should be three,if only two then the previous statement may apply.
According to my wiring diagrams the voltage control unit should have five wires connected, including an earth. If what I've suggested above is correct, that would make six.

Edited by Dave P. - 05 Feb 2019 at 21:51

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:23
Another thought which should have occurred to me earlier.(Simple things first)Have you checked the condition and the tension of the dynamo drive belt?

el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 15:04
There are 3 wires to the dynamo.
How should the relay be wired?
Is all in the photo correct?
thanks
el__burro
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 15:15
OK, what I glean from your posts is that the bike runs but on increasing rev's you get less than 12 volts dynamo output. First thing as I mentioned above is to check your belt condition and tension. Have you done that?
From your photo's all appears to be well but I'm not sure why you've shown the starter relay.This is not involved in charging. You do have the charging warning light cable attached to the dynamo.As you have no charging light you may wish to find the other end of it to make sure it is insulated and can't short out.It's the plain red one in your photo'.

Edited by Dave P. - 06 Feb 2019 at 18:05

theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 16:03
The top photo looks like your starter. But what do I know of loops?

Cheers
Min
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 18:23
Originally posted by theone&onlymin theone&onlymin wrote:

Cheers
Min
Looks like the starter to me too.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by ranton_rambler ranton_rambler wrote:

Originally posted by theone&onlymin theone&onlymin wrote:

Cheers
Min
Looks like the starter to me too.
.....that makes three of us Smile
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 21:28
Sorry, I didnt mean to upload the starter motor photo. Well done for spotting that.
The good news is.. after replacing the connection on the top of the Generator and cleaning the earth connection on the VR i have a voltage reading, still nothing above 13.7 but it’s a step forward.
I've also managed to get a reading from TopDon as in the 
picture below.
Thanks
el__burro

Edited by el__burro - 09 Feb 2019 at 19:23
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 18:22
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

First thing as I mentioned above is to check your belt condition and tension. Have you done that?
You do have the charging warning light cable attached to the dynamo.
As you have no charging light you may wish to find the other end of it to make sure it is insulated and can't short out.It's the plain red one in your photo'.
Thanks Dave, 
i'll check both your suggestions when the weather gets better.
I am thinking of connecting a small "idiot" light (is it 3w?) so I can test further.
Also what should the power output from the Regulator ( I am measuring on the battery terminals)
Thanks a lot
el__burro

Edited by el__burro - 09 Feb 2019 at 19:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic