guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G5 Exhaust system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G5 Exhaust system
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 21:42
Hi All
Just started a winter refurb on the G5 i bought last year, it has a strange exhaust system which has the non standard silencers welded to the H piece, so i decided to try and go back th something approaching standard, i have managed to find a pair of silecers from a T3 and bought a second hand Hpiece, the down pipes are stainles and cleaned up well.
However when i tried to assemble them the front section of the H piece is not long enough to connect to the downpipe without fouling the rear of the sump, i was not aware that there are different lengths of crossover so am stuck at the moment any suggestions welome
Dave
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 22:58
This may be a bit too obvious, but .. you have the down-pipes on the right sides, right?

Even then, I know what you mean. A tonti I brought a few years back had a down-pipes and H-pipe combination which fouled access to the gearbox drain plug. Oh how we laughed.

Edited by Barry - 06 Feb 2019 at 12:43
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 19:16
on my V1000 you have to ensure front pipes are on the correct sides them loosely fit the lot together tightening up from silencer fitting The first time i put it all back wrong sided it drove me nuts the front pipes ARE sided
As one cylinder is slightly in from of the other
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
ageingroover62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 20:09
Yes i know that as this isnt my first Guzzi however the existing system fitted was non standard and the crossover is welded to the silencers which are megga type so i bought a second hand crossover and a pair of std silencers, the old Hpiece has pipes about 6" in front of the crossover but the std Hpiece has only 3"
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 22:26
So your header pipes are standard? You said they were stainless, so how do you know they are the correct length. Maybe they were made to measure.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ageingroover62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 23:28
i suspect your right Brian but im hesitant to replace them as they are in excellent condition and anyway none of the suppliers selling replacements give details of lengths im thinking of cutting up the origionals to make a short bridging section
Pentode View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 07:05
Hi Mr Groover,

Are you able to accurately measure the tube diameters, lengths etc and do a sketch of the required bridging sections (careful, they may need to be different...), and PM it over to me? - I may be able to help.

Cheers
Grahame
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 12:20
You may have tried or I may be misreading.
If you put the 6" part to the front does that work ?
Just had a wee look; the long side is forward on mine so it is.

Cheers
Min

Edited by theone&onlymin - 06 Feb 2019 at 14:22
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:44
Interesting heads-up on the different lengths on the header pipes! 

I had no idea that they were different - mine are well and truly rusted into the 'H' section and no amount of 'persuasion' has ever got the @*!?&%$ things to come apart, and I've always had to drop them off as a complete assembly. Maybe just as well!
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic