guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LMIV wiring diagram?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LMIV wiring diagram?
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 04:31
Hi all

i searched through the forum before posting and could not find one - does anyone have the LMIV wiring diagram available?

i'm trying to troubleshoot a missing horn and a front brake light, and i'm going nowhere.

any help greatly appreciated
ride fast, live slow
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 07:56
Can't see the IV, but the V is here.

Not sure which other model would be nearest, but have a look through this list, courtesy of Carl Allison.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bentombed View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 09:22
thank you - now to find the the front brake light switch on the bike! 
ride fast, live slow
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:28
You front brake light switch can be in different places depending on model, Some newer bikes it is a wee micro switch at the lever, older bikes it is a hydraulic switch look between the front fork yokes the hydraulic switch is quite large round at a junction follow hydraulic hose up from caliper hope that helps
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 15:30
I have found one here http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_lemans-1000_en.pdf If you would like a colour copy I will have to draw it as I have not done so as yet. Carl Allison does not appear to have one either. The nearest I can find is the V75 but that has electronicignition and not points as the 1000 Le Mans has. 

The front brake switch looks like it is under the handle bar leaver, it will have 2 red wires and a red/blue wire going to it.
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 16:00
Comparing that diagram with the one for the LM IV, I can't see the difference.
Brian.

Bentombed View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 23:26
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

You front brake light switch can be in different places depending on model, Some newer bikes it is a wee micro switch at the lever, older bikes it is a hydraulic switch look between the front fork yokes the hydraulic switch is quite large round at a junction follow hydraulic hose up from caliper hope that helps

thank you - i was trying to figure out why my front brake light was not working, i looked at it and found that the wires coming from the brake were not plugged in anywhere :/  there is nothing apparent in the mess of wires hidden in the fairing, I will keep looking. 

Cheers

ride fast, live slow
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 08:02
Check the front brake lever first, see if a microswitch is there, or mounting screw holes for one. Otherwise follow the hydraulic hose from there to see if a hydraulic switch is present.
Brian.

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:31
You only need one of the brake light switches to work for an MOT, either front or back. But obviously it is better to have both working.
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:46
Re: MOT "Motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that switch on from both brake controls. However, a small number of motorcycles first used from this date were approved with the stop lamp switching on by only one control. You should fail the stop lamp only if you are certain that it was originally manufactured to switch on from both controls.

All stop lamps should light up immediately when the brake is applied and switch off immediately the brake is released.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested. However, if there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given."

From: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.3

I recall being told by my MOT inspector, some years back, that only one was OK for my Guzzi, the one being the 'primary brake control' which he apparently considered to be the foot brake on the linked system. But what he told me he thought to be the case and what the guidance document reads seem to differ. The bike in question, for that test, was an '82.

Bentombed View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 04:16
Hi - thank you 

the issue i have is the wires that from the brake lever have detached from their cluster and i cannot for the life of me see where they were meant to go! 

the diagram for the seems to match up perfectly - sadly my bike has had some weird stuff done to it.
ride fast, live slow
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 08:49
Two red wires should go to one terminal on the switch and the red/blue go to the other terminal. The red wires are the feed to the switch (one comes from the volt meter and the other from the 15 pin connector. The red/blue wire goes to the brake light via the rear brake light switch. 

Can you post a photo of the switch and wires?
Chris and Karen - Essex
Bentombed View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 01:34
Originally posted by Chris950s Chris950s wrote:

Two red wires should go to one terminal on the switch and the red/blue go to the other terminal. The red wires are the feed to the switch (one comes from the volt meter and the other from the 15 pin connector. The red/blue wire goes to the brake light via the rear brake light switch. 

Can you post a photo of the switch and wires?

thank you - that all makes sense - i will take a photo tonight.  

Cheers
Ben
ride fast, live slow
Bentombed View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentombed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:38
update - sorted. missing earths, new wires not colour matching and rank amateurism.  Took it to an auto electrician, all sorted. the horn works again too
ride fast, live slow
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:45
Well done for taking it to an Auto electrician to sort now just enjoy
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic