guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plastic inlet manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 07:40
Looks great.
I see no threaded holes to take a vacume balancing set.
Can you post a few more pics. I see there's a choke cable instead of a lever. Do the cables have an easy run as they go past the frame tube, and under the tank?
Plenty of space around the fuel tap on the L?H side, but is it Ok on the R/H ? Allens pics do not show it with the tank on.
At over £600 I waqnt to know that there are no snags.
And are you getting better fuel consumption ?
Pentode View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 15:31
Hi Gfiver,

There aren't vacuum take off points on the manifolds so I balanced the carbs by checking that the slides lifted at the same time as I wound the throttle open.

As supplied, the carbs come with lever chokes but as I already had a handlebar mounted choke lever I converted them to cable operation, speaking of cables, it's a fairly easy run past the frame tubes then under the tank and the throttle is comfortably light. 

There's plenty of room around the fuel taps, unfortunately I don't have photos of the other side and I've stripped the bike down for winter projects...

As for fuel consumption, I didn't get as far as checking it before the winter stripdown.

Grahame
Gfiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 16:02
Thanks
Gfiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 16:46
I am now reconsidering.
I have the original T3/G5/SP type ally inlet manifolds with the 45 degree bends, (very reasonably priced 2nd hand from TLM, but a bit slow in their response).
These I reckon I could use, with modification, to fit either Mikunis or the 30mm PHF/PHBH Dellortos.
The 45 degree bend allowing far more space for air filters and more room around fuel taps etc.
I was favouring the Mikuni but discovered today that while they do supply L/H & R/H models, the pilot screw is always on the riight hand of both types. Pretty damn awkward on a Guzzi.
So I'm looking at the Dellortos again.
Yes, huge difference between Gutsibits prices and Stein Dinse, but the S.D. kit uses the PHBH 30mm without accelerator pump, while Gutsibits are offering the PHF30 with accelerator pump.
I can understand, as Ken points out that the pumper option provides better "pick up" than the non pumper, but has anyone had experience of both ?
Its a big price difference, about £140 !
I'll check out Eurocarb's prices on the PHF.
I wouldn't object to S/H but most of those for sale seem to be non pumper types.

Gfiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 18:53
Well I checed the price of PHF30 on Eurocarb's site.
Even more expensive than Gutsibits.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 20:02
Ray got his PHFs from Reboot   750 uses same carbs different jets
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 22:13
Not sure if suitable but pair of 30mm PHBH carbs from 1996 Nevada put on ebay today £110 the pair 
ebay item number 401712074893

Sure others on forum can advise if any good for you
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 00:41
Originally posted by Gfiver Gfiver wrote:

I am now reconsidering.
I have the original T3/G5/SP type ally inlet manifolds with the 45 degree bends, (very reasonably priced 2nd hand from TLM, but a bit slow in their response).
These I reckon I could use, with modification, to fit either Mikunis or the 30mm PHF/PHBH Dellortos.
The 45 degree bend allowing far more space for air filters and more room around fuel taps etc.
I was favouring the Mikuni but discovered today that while they do supply L/H & R/H models, the pilot screw is always on the riight hand of both types. Pretty damn awkward on a Guzzi.
So I'm looking at the Dellortos again.
Yes, huge difference between Gutsibits prices and Stein Dinse, but the S.D. kit uses the PHBH 30mm without accelerator pump, while Gutsibits are offering the PHF30 with accelerator pump.
I can understand, as Ken points out that the pumper option provides better "pick up" than the non pumper, but has anyone had experience of both ?
Its a big price difference, about £140 !
I'll check out Eurocarb's prices on the PHF.
I wouldn't object to S/H but most of those for sale seem to be non pumper types.

Yeah I think (after a quick search to confirm my memory [or not]) PHBH 30 is the equiv for VHB 30, which your G5 would have used. The G5 has nothing else really that can use the accelerator pumps so I think that's a waste. My LM had the PHF 36 and the accelerator pumps could be a PITA. Altho they're adjustable. As an experiment I tried putting on spare VHB30's I had and the first thing I noticed was about an extra 10 mpg. So those pumpers were wasting petrol. I never noticed the accelerator pumps doing much else even on the LM so didn't miss them. I'd just gone self employed, money was tight and the bike was my only transport, so economics dictated the 30mm's stayed on. Previously I'd done a week's tour around Cornwall with the PHF 36's on, 2 up, 30 mpg! Shocked

Latterly with the 30mm (non pumper) carbs on the bike could easily achieve around 50 mpg. Never missed the accelerator pumps. The 36mm carbs don't work well at small throttle openings so you keep giving it more to make it go properly, also accounting for extra fuel consumption, conversely the smaller 30mm are much smoother and pull better at low rpm and low speed. (Not just me that says so, read it somewhere.)

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 07:36
My Spada III had PHF36 with the accellerator pumps. I disconnected them. Made almost no difference to performance, but fuel economy improved dramatiacally. Regularly got mid 60s mpg.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Gfiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 07:39
Thanks Mike, that is really helpful, and it would save a big wad, on purchase, and on fuel cost. (I'm recently retired so learning to live on a bit less as well !)
I remember years ago on my T3 getting as much as 60mpg on well worn VHBs, so crisp new, or newish PHBHs should be good.
As good as my SPII was, trouble is I can't remember what the mpg on that was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic