guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wet spark plug - 1000SP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet spark plug - 1000SP
    Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 19:28
No posts from Jalfrezi since 29 January .. Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 13:54
And bad fuel can foul a spark plug even on a 4 stroke engine if you haven't tried a fresh spark plug.  You also might want to do a compression test to see if something mechanical is wrong.
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
gonk1100i View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonk1100i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 06:56
Check you haven’t picked up bad fuel,took me ages to figure it out on my Cali,always seemed to steam on one cylinder,turned out to be bout 1/2 ltr of water.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 20:50
Has it got a Rita system tho? He hasn't specifically said it has.

Also, yeah but no but, the LH cylinder works perfectly.

(Or so we're led to believe.)  Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:46
Rita failed on my V1000 I swapped back to points my observations same engine same bike only alteration points ign ....it most certainly picks up cleaned and quicker, revs through the gears smoother and cleaner especially at the top end. Cruise speed 80 is smoother uses less fuel top end is back to it's spec top speed. I ran it with points for over 200k miles they posed no real issues easy to set and swap I aquired an engine with Rita set on it so used it But whilst it never really needed adjustment I noticed the tick over would be erratic, on very cols mornings the right cyl would fire up the left being sluggish , mid range was fine but I noticed it did not seem as rev happy or as brisk as  I use it for touring and cruising it was not a major issue it was always down on top end......When it failed, for me that was it stranded loaded 2 up on the M5 was no fun then they only took us to nearest services, had to wait 2 hrs for recovery then only to south of Brum took 10 hrs to get home....Never ever got stuck like that with points in 200k miles .... I can carry spare points and a condenser take no room up whatsoever .... 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:28
You've mentioned renewing the plug-caps, but not the plugs themselves? Could be that the original plug itself is failing.

The Lucas system on my Trident is/was VERY sensitive to any drop in voltage. Anything less than 11.5 volts and the engine wouldn't run at anything more than a tick-over. In fact the electronic ignition has been the most unreliable part of the bike over the thirty years I've owned it, and was consequently been dumped a few years ago! Three sets of points take a while to set up but are infinitely more forgiving. My G5 does very nicely on points.

Check that you aren't losing any voltage along the way; as has been suggested, tarnished connections, frayed wires etc will all cause voltage drop. Higher RPM will mask failings at low RPM when the alternator takes over from the battery and starts to boost the 'available' voltage.
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 13:34
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't black smoke indicate richness and grey indicate oil burning?

Edited by Dave P. - 07 Feb 2019 at 13:37
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 12:29
Just looked at this thread , easy to swap coils as you just swap the LT and HT leads over Elektrikery ignition especially RiTa is heavy on the battery so any crud in a connection or any bad connection in ignition will cause it to stutter 
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 08:34
Condenser not earthing properly or faulty ?, had that scenario meself, maybe connect a strobe to the plug lead to see if it is misfiring on the pot ?.
Good luck
Chill

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 07:55
The Dellorto "choke" is an on/off affair. It's not a choke in that it doesn't restrict the air flow, but it adds extra fuel.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 06:58
I don't know if it's useful, but I have found that my 1000SP does start without the choke in all but the coldest conditions. With the choke (which cannot be regulated like in the SP 2 I have in Germany; it is "on" or "off") I feel there is way too much fuel coming in, and I feel there is a risk of choking the engine; not sure if my example has a badly regulated choke.
Brutal battery, though. Kicks like a mule.
O
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 09:10
Looking at the leads (i.e. for 'chafing' or 'cracking' that leads to shorting) is actually best done in the dark!

That's all I've got. Sorry. When my own 1000SP refuses to start, I choose from my selection of Tourette's impersonations, and walk to the local railway station for a coffee. Then I walk back again, invariably to find that it now starts first time.
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 21:09
Looking at it again, pretty sure it's petrol.  Will have a look at the leads etc. in the morning.

Thanks all
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 20:45
Oil or petrol? Leave the plug in a warm place for a short time, petrol will evaporate and dry off, oil won't.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 19:03
when it misses pull the choke cable that side ....could still be choke sticking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic