FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member Question
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:59
To be faoe mate if you have Givi the top plate fits to a rack with "W" clips and presto givi fitted, plates are cheap on e-bay Give are in my opinion from long use way better than the gawd awful Hepco ones fitted to my EV ....my V1000 has Givi fitted never an issue never leaked. The Cali EV had brand new bags Hepco ones fitted leak like a colander bloody awful and despite being 42 litre only just take a full face lid the 45 litre givi easy swallow one ......If you have not ridden for some years also take a look see at the California V11 Range these are good for over 200k miles often have luggage fitted and good for all day touring or pop out They have great handling and great mpg really good grunt and decent speed Way less dosh to maintain too. Cali EV, Stone,Special or Vintage basically the same with differing cycle parts ... personally it would be a 3 disc fully loaded tourer for me with the Touring Fairing or screen fitted
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 16:27
Originally posted by TooJuicy TooJuicy wrote:

The topbox also looks to be a genuine Moto Guzzi topbox.  I have heard that sometimes these self-eject, do a search. 

The early ones did, but Guzzi altered the catch later and stopped them ejecting.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 15:54
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

Best colour scheme that.

"Corsa" colour is on the 1200 Sport of 2012MY (maybe 2011??).

Tony
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 15:27
Originally posted by Guzzi1000SE Guzzi1000SE wrote:

I see you are in Derbyshire if you are not too far from CMC at Clay Cross they have a 2010 1200 Sport in stock which you could go and sit on. I would give them a ring first just to check it is still in stock 01246 860046

http://www.cmcbikes.com/used-motorcycle/2010-moto-guzzi-v1200-v4-sport-for-sale-5c4c3767e49f7

This CMC 1200 Sport appears to have a handlebar raising kit fitted.

The topbox also looks to be a genuine Moto Guzzi topbox.  I have heard that sometimes these self-eject, do a search.  That could really spoil your holiday if you lose the topbox & its contents. Story goes Guzzi improved the locking tab later in production but the issue remained. I have no personal experience of the problem since I use Givi topboxes.  The Guzzi topbox on the bike offered for sale evidently stayed the course - you can never be sure how many probems stem from user error...

Tony

Edited by TooJuicy - 27 Jan 2019 at 15:30
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 15:22
Best colour scheme that.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 15:16
The bike reviews say that early 1200 Sports have handlebars further forward and indeed fitting alternative bars was not uncommon. The reviews say that handlebars of the 4/8v models (2008 on) are closer.

I have a late-model 1200 Sport and I would prefer the handlebars a touch further forward, but it's just personal opinion and my previous/other bike is a VFR and I find a moderate forward lean is better for my back than sitting upright.

Each to their own, but the message is that earlier (2006/7 2v) Sports may have more of a stretch to the bars.

Tony

My 1200 Sport half unpacked on return from a 4,000 mile camping trip - rh pannier & topbox removed; lh pannier, camping roll, tank bag & road dirt still in place.

P.S.  fitted with a Norge seat.  As mentioned earlier, I'm not sure the Norge seat was more comfortable, my wife suspects it's less (comfortable) on the back.

PPS my wife doesn't do tents and didn't travel with the camping equipment. It's a long story...

Edited by TooJuicy - 27 Jan 2019 at 15:36
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 11:34
Putting Mana bars on a 1200 Sport brings the bars closer to you I've heard.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:29
A pre owned bike with screen and panniers if you intend touring is a great option as to add them later is likely to cost damn near £1000 to buy new that is something worth considering. By the way The "Sport" is a similar riding position to a VFR Honda more touring than sport. The best advice before going for any Guzzi (or other bike) is find one take it for a ride they either feel right or don't

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 11:36
Hi Dave,

I am also thinking about a Breva with a screen, panniers and top box.

I have also been to look at the bike in CMC, it's in nice condition and it seems to have had the cam kit fitted according to the paperwork.

DaveH View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 11:23
Thanks for the input.
That has helped me get a clearer picture of how the MG range fits together.

I'm not far from CMC so will try to call in.

Breva with a screen is looking favourite Tongue
DaveH
PeterB View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:55
Hello Dave.

I have a Breva 1100. I'm 59 yrs old 6ft tall and around 15 and a half stone.  
I find the seat/bar/peg relationship on the Breva very comfortable even with my long legs, I believe it is the same riding position as the Norge.

Due to an old neck injury I need a bike with a fairly upright riding position and the Breva/Norge handlebars provide this.  I have a screen on the Breva which allows 90mph cruising with no drama but a fully faired Norge would no doubt improve on the comfort and weather protection levels should you envisage all weather, year round use.

The only disadvantage of the Breva's upright position as far as I can see is that the front wheel feels slightly remote when compared to a bike with handlebars that lean you forward such as those on the 1200 sport.  This only shows up on tight roundabouts and so on and you soon get used to it.  If your riding style is more restrained and less 'sporty' then it becomes a non issue.

The Breva is a heavy bike.  Once on the move it's ok but not what you'd call nimble no matter what the road tests of the day would tell you. To summarise, if you are of a similar size and build to me you will have no problem whatsoever fitting either bike.  

Edited by PeterB - 26 Jan 2019 at 10:59
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:44
Hi Dave,

I have been having the same dilemma, but fortunately I have managed to sit on all three bikes. Personally I found the three bike quite similar however, the 1200 Sport made me lean further forward as the bars are flatter and wider. The seats felt much the same on all three and as I have been told on this forum they are interchangable.

I see you are in Derbyshire if you are not too far from CMC at Clay Cross they have a 2010 1200 Sport in stock which you could go and sit on. I would give them a ring first just to check it is still in stock 01246 860046

http://www.cmcbikes.com/used-motorcycle/2010-moto-guzzi-v1200-v4-sport-for-sale-5c4c3767e49f7
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:33
The big Breva is identical to the Norge as far as rider position is concerned (and weight).
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:17
Hello. and welcome to the forum.

Try this website for Motorcycle ergonomics.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Edited by helmetbolt - 26 Jan 2019 at 10:21
2001 California Special. (Modified)
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:03
Hello and welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic