guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello with a question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrajohnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello with a question
    Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 22:16
I have been reading this forum for a while now. My main interest is singles, I have Nuovo, Lodola, Airone and Zigolo.
I have a question regarding the V Twins. A few years ago I bought second hand a EFI California. Unfortunately and disappointingly I could not get on with it and sold it shortly after buying it. The reason for the dislike was the seating position was very uncomfortable, I read somewhere it being referred to as the "bunny hop" position, which for  me summed it up very well (my knees where at best level with my hips or in fact probably higher - this threw strain onto my lower back, or at least I think that is what was happening). 
Anyway, I have a hankering after another V Twin, so a couple of questions. When was this frame superseded and is the newer frame more comfortable. Also, regarding the earlier frames, are they also the "bunny hop" style or do you sit more comfortably on those.
How do I differentiate within the advertisements and this forum - Linto, Loop, Spine etc.
Sorry if my experience is at variance with devout owners, it's just my view.
Regards, JohnT
??
Gfiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 22:56
I have had a '78 T3 and an '88 Mkll Spada and now an '81 G5 all of which are "pre bunny hop" seating position and all 3 have had a good, comfortable riding position.
In between these I had an '04 Cali Stone and recognise the criticisms of the riding position, low seat & feet too far forward and all the weight on your bum.
Sorry I cannot coment on distinguishing between models beyond those I have listed.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:17
Welcome!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:55
https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Moto_Guzzi2.html

Have a look through here to start with

I wouldn't know the difference between me loop or me tonti either.

I guess they are frames.

My expertise lies with ironing boards.

Edited by red leader one - 23 Jan 2019 at 11:59
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

[URL=http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Moto_Guzzi2.htmlHave%20a%20look%20through%20here%20to%20start.]https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Moto_Guzzi2.html
</a>

Have a look through here to start with

I wouldn't know the difference between me loop or me tonti either.

I guess they are frames.

My expertise lies with ironing boards.

Does this mean you could have a rare Tonti ironing board
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:58
It's a possibility.  I don't think it's a loop though.
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 13:13
Could be a tonti they also have twin down tubes for stability 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 20:03
The loop framed bikes are the earliest 700-850 Ambassaror Eldorado California when you look side on where the rear footrests are is a large loop in the frame, these are reasonably rare in the UK The Tonti frame is on bikes from mid 70's up to mid 2000's and cover The Lemans 850-1000 as well as the mk5 along with all the Tseries Spada California ...The spines come in around V11 lemans breva 1200 Norge Griso...by no means comprehensive but you get the idea The Cali 1100 EV with separate seats can be really altered by fitting the earlier 1100i dual seat However the Breva and Norge are also accomplished tourers with totally different riding position, Griso and 1200 sport is different again as are the Adventure styled Stelvio, Just about all of the 75-2003 bikes cycleparts are interchangeable so it is real easy to fit different bars and seats ...go find your local Guzzi meet and chat to folks 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 21:55
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

The loop framed bikes are the earliest 700-850 Ambassaror Eldorado California when you look side on where the rear footrests are is a large loop in the frame, these are reasonably rare in the UK The Tonti frame is on bikes from mid 70's up to mid 2000's and cover The Lemans 850-1000 as well as the mk5 along with all the Tseries Spada California ...The spines come in around V11 lemans breva 1200 Norge Griso...by no means comprehensive but you get the idea The Cali 1100 EV with separate seats can be really altered by fitting the earlier 1100i dual seat However the Breva and Norge are also accomplished tourers with totally different riding position, Griso and 1200 sport is different again as are the Adventure styled Stelvio, Just about all of the 75-2003 bikes cycleparts are interchangeable so it is real easy to fit different bars and seats ...go find your local Guzzi meet and chat to folks 

The real  SPINE to own are 1100 sportThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Electrajohnt View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrajohnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 22:36
Guzzibear

Thanks' for that. So the difference from most of the earlier Guzzis, Spada etc with the efi Cali I had is in the tank and seat not the frame. The bikes with the horizontal seat and squarish tank have the same frame as the dropped down seat and drooping tear-drop type of tank?
JohnT
??
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 22:56
I believe that's correct.Although I only recently was informed that the later Cali's were still Tonti's.That drooping in the middle look made me think it was a different frame.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 08:07
All the later Tontis from around 1990 had a longer headstock, making the frame look higher overall.
No doubt that would have affected the riding position.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 12:40
Cruisers can induce lower back pain due to the lean-back position of having the feet too far forwards and too high, this rotates the hips under and makes a kink in the lower spline.
Conversely sports bike place a lot of weight on the wrists and shoulders. 
The most comfortable position seems to be a sit up and beg with a slight forwards lean, as with the singles, feet somewhere below the thighs so they can take some of the weight but not so high that the knees cramp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic