guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1200 Sport - tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzigraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 09:52
Further to Brian's comment, I suspect that the Nylon of a Guzzi (Acerbis) tank is more ethanol proof than some of the other plastics used. Regardless, there is enough of the vapour which gets into them for the material to swell slightly. In contrast my old Triumph Tiger 955 (on a '52 plate), looked like it had a case of the 'Pox' by the time I sold it. The vapour gets through the plastic and is trapped under the paint causing wholesale blistering on most. They also swelled enough to make fitting them back on after a spot of maintenance a challenge. It's rare now to see bikes of that era from Triumph (and others) without something going on with the paint... or a new paint jobs been done to give it a few more unblemished years. Not something I've noticed on Sports, Norges or Brevas, which is why I think they are at least a little more ethanol resistant.

I am guessing that the switch to ethanol content in fuel was not foreseen so soon, and/or an appreciation of it's effects were not well understood by the bike industry. I hope that since then some more thought has gone into the tank materials and what can happen during ownership. Seems now to be such a common problem with bikes from the 2000's which is a shame. As far as Guzzi's go, I love the motor and the Sport has a great feel, so I will keep mine for a while yet.
'68 V7 700 - March 2023
Coburn and Hughes Le Mans II - March 2022
Nuovo Falcone - May 2020 to June 2023
1200 2v Sport - 2016 to Feb 2022
T3 California - long gone

'78 Z1000 been in bits for a while
motomike1400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motomike1400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 15:41
My 2010 V7Classic suffered the swollen tank blistering paint problem... eventually leading to a constant cloud of vapour around the bike. Rather than wait for the inevitable fire ball i sourced a NOS chromed tank from the Racer version. Looked good too on a black bike. I treated the inner to a coating of ethanol proof liner.....so far, so good. Fingers crossed.
Course, now the initial problem of the chromed tanks has surfaced...peeling chrome. So now considering a vinyl wrap to make the bike all black again. About £20 for DIY kit and easier than paint. Worth a try.

V7 Classic. 1800 Touring Goldwing. Honda Africa Twin 1000. Kawa Z900RS Cafe. SWM300RS. Folding moped thingy.
Though these may change🤔
Now thinking less is more🤔
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 16:51
My Norge tank has no paint blistering at all, so in that respect it is better than those on the small blocks.
But it has certainly grown in length. The top yoke now hits the tank on full lock and the rear bolt hole has had to be elongated by about 1cm in order to get the bolt in.
I suspect if the bolt is forced in without elongating the hole, then the tank will be sufficiently stressed to crack.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 19:38
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

What was wrong with steel tanks ??? Don't tell me,let me guess.PROGRESS !!
Bah humbug!!

I guessed because you'd need a big press and expensive moulds, and lo  .....

https://www.quora.com/Why-have-bike-manufacturers-shifted-to-plastic-fuel-tanks

Mind you I hadn't considered how differently each type might behave in a collision.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
guzzigraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzigraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:49
So the new (to me) tank arrived last week and carefully inspected to make sure it was crack free (it is). Saturday saw a change over of the tank cap/lock and the fuel pump. I also took the opportunity of changing out the fuel filter from the original two piece one to an all metal one. The plastic half was indeed very swollen on the filter, so hopefully I've averted a break down due to this letting go in the future.

The famously awful disconnector on the fuel line was well and truly seized when I took the tank off a while back. I ended up cutting the pipe with a cunning plan to add in a revised disconnect arrangement using CPC metal fittings. Not sure if anyone else has used these for a Norge/Breva/V1200 Sport on here but I used them on a Triumph I had a while ago and found them really good. If anyone is interested let me know and I will share part numbers etc. (before I forget all the details again!).
'68 V7 700 - March 2023
Coburn and Hughes Le Mans II - March 2022
Nuovo Falcone - May 2020 to June 2023
1200 2v Sport - 2016 to Feb 2022
T3 California - long gone

'78 Z1000 been in bits for a while
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 13:51
Worth posting the details anyway, maybe in the alternative parts section?
Brian.

stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 14:17
Good read. Never tried a new Breva/Sport/Norge on full lock to see the gap between yoke and tank.

My old red tank 05 back in 2015 had tank dings where the top yoke hit and on one occasion when I dropped the bike fuel peed out the cap (not sure if related). That was a 20000 mile bike.

This new 2006 with 55000 on the clock is ding free but close. It maybe fitment issues as well though.

Another issue to keep an eye on! Ouch
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 18:02
For the record, my 1200 Sport has a gap of 2-2.5cm between tank & yoke, o n full lock - the tank is less than a year old./

Tony

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 18:55
Well mine still touches and I've filed quite a bit off that bottom corner.

I do have Helibars fitted, which reduce that clearance though.
Brian.

TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 19:41
In my Sport 8v the closest point of contact to the tank is the top yoke itself, specifically the casting which the handlebars are clamped down on, this "pedestal" protudes back from the main yoke a short distance.

Tony
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 20:23
Thanks for the picture. Not sure if the lock has changed over the years to provide for more gap. I doubt My tank has grown that much but you may just get a Christmas card between yoke and tank!

I've also used HeliBars and Sportbars on the old Breva but all including the standard hit the tank!
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 21:58
MOT failure if tank fouls before full lock. My friendly MOT tester explained to me that he had not seen tank fouling but if I noticed it when I got home perhaps I should fix it. Hammer moved lock stops.
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:03
Agreed. I'll have to check that out George. The steering key locks too so need to check that where ever the steering locks to it can also lock via key.

Just had a look and I do have a ding in the tank! So priority. The key lock has enough play to give good clearance though, so that's good.
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 17:27
Originally posted by stu stu wrote:

. I doubt My tank has grown that much but you may just get a Christmas card between yoke and tank!

This getting bigger around the girth just creeps up on us all Big smile

The 1200 Sport and Norge share the same fuel tank & top yoke parts. On my Sport, with its newish, replacement tank, I can slide my fingers in the gap between the yoke and tank.

This photo shows the gap, it's not so obvious to make out in this photo (my phone camera doesn't have a flash) but, on full lock, between the tank and the top yoke you can see the gap and you're looking down on to the upper fork leg and the lower yoke, which looks black here in silhouette. 

[the red tape on the yoke near the steering stem is the author's own]

Tony

stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 19:59
LOL Nah, I'm built like a twig and break just as easy Big smile

The bike is now back through the porch and in the back yard for spanner time.

The steering lock block is 22mm, not sure on the space on the bottom yoke but doubt they've changed that.
Possibly the block is bigger?

Sorry about the hijack thread but I promise it's tank related Embarrassed 
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic