guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cali 1100i Misfire - again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmin Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 08:51
Brian. As i said in my post on Sunday evening, I removed all the relays and fuses, all connectors that I could find, including the multi connector on the ECU, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner, worked then a bit to polish them up as appropriate. After re assembly I wiped them all off and sprayed with damp start, in an attempt to prevent any moisture getting in going forward. 

I agree, I don't think the current fuses and relays are faulty. My concern is a dry or in other way poor connection, which I understand is a common issue with these models.

Ian
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 09:22
It has been known to find a dry joint on the ECU board. But how you find it is another matter. These occasional faults are always the most difficult to diagnose. They go away when they know you are looking, only to reappear when your back is turned. Angry
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bodmin Beast View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmin Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:09
Brian. Is that inside the ECU? I assume it is not possible to open it up to effect repairs? If not, are replacement ECU's available, do you know, and if so, from whom, and how much?

Iam
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:59
my sport corsa had a cutting out problem ,it would run for a day .week.months brill then would cut out and play up all the time it went on for over a year . In the end i surspensed the fuel tank above the motorcycle so i could run it but still get to all the wiring so i could wiggle or pull on connectors . I also broke the seal and went inside the ecu .If you do a sreach of ecu repairs there are a few companies and some places will sell you a second hand one ,prices vary from 100 quid to 400 quid i found .I was lucky as in the beginning i got all relays ,TPS etc free under warrenty .All the best i feel your pain
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 17:10
And what, in the end, was causing it Johno?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 17:38
Yes, that would be inside the box.

Now I can't tell you if there is any problem with your ECU or not. But an alternative and not so expensive way forward if you think there is, would be Cliff Jefferies My ECU. He makes one which will be a direct replacement. Sold in kit form or complete.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 17:50
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Yes, that would be inside the box.

Now I can't tell you if there is any problem with your ECU or not. But an alternative and not so expensive way forward if you think there is, would be Cliff Jefferies My ECU. He makes one which will be a direct replacement. Sold in kit form or complete.
this is the way to go if ECU was at fault . Mike the list of small issues were from HT leads , crack in battery lead, running weak hence me going into ECU to rich it up a bit .Poor connections , fuse box but in the end I could not say it appeared to be minor things but all together added up to a nightmare . It's been sound now for a good few years and it does not have an easy life lol
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmin Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 18:45
It has crossed my mind that it could be an intermittent fault; or faults, as there are 2 distinctly different symptoms; in the ECU. It really needs plugging into a diagnostic doo-dah while the fault is being displayed. I have no idea who would have that set-up for a 25 year old Cali around here, in Cornwall.

I am assuming from that interesting Jefferies MyECU website that my ECU is a WMP8. The parts book says 'CDI Unit Assembly'; very helpful! I also read on his site that he does not supply these complete, as the casings are hard to come by, and he doesn't have any kits either! 

Just seen your latest post Johnno. That is how I feel mine is; various little niggling, hard to find things which just pop up to cause trouble! Getting the ECU checked out would be useful, but if it has an intermittent fault, no point in checking it until the fault appears.

Thanks

Ian

Edited by Bodmin Beast - 09 Jan 2019 at 18:48
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 19:22
still think it sounds like the ev barnfind problem I had , have a look back at the old posts it sounds very similar 
Honda CBF 1000 2000 Cali EV (in bits)(not any more)
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmin Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 19:38
I have checked the cold start mechanism and it works fine. 
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 19:43
ok it's just the symptoms sound the same and I thought the mechanism was working ok 
Honda CBF 1000 2000 Cali EV (in bits)(not any more)
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmin Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 13:10
Originally posted by Hbhonda Hbhonda wrote:

ok it's just the symptoms sound the same and I thought the mechanism was working ok 

Yes, it is frustrating, because initial thoughts are that it could be either mechanical, or electrical. As the bike is in fairly regular use, it seemed unlikely, although not impossible, that anything had physically seized up. Also, the fact that, having cleaned up various electrical connections, contacts etc it then worked fine, seems to preclude a mechanical issue. With a barn find you would pretty well expect stuff to be seized up.

I will just keep riding it until it happens again; hopefully not!

Thanks for your input.

Ian
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by Bodmin Beast Bodmin Beast wrote:

Originally posted by Hbhonda Hbhonda wrote:

Yes, it is frustrating, because initial thoughts are that it could be either mechanical, or electrical. As the bike is in fairly regular use, it seemed unlikely, although not impossible, that anything had physically seized up. Also, the fact that, having cleaned up various electrical connections, contacts etc it then worked fine, seems to preclude a mechanical issue. With a barn find you would pretty well expect stuff to be seized up.

I will just keep riding it until it happens again; hopefully not!

Thanks for your input.

Ian
I found myself doubting things I hâd done , if it happen again I would write everything down 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic