guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re bore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 17:24
Thanks everyone. The crank and everything else are within tolerance. The way the engine pulled apart (with great difficultly), I don't think it's been apart for some time - if ever!
Great news Amboman about the pistons, I think this is the route I'll take.
Paul.
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 19:39
Anyone know which piston choice would suit new Nikersil bores best A, B, or C. I'm guessing A, but I'd like a second opinion before I splash out.
Thanks,
Paul.
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 19:43
Ignore previous post, found B stamped on the barrels
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 09:01
The letter stamps on the pistons and bores are to match them in terms of tolerance so A pistons match A bores, etc. as long as they match there is no advantage as to which letter you have. 
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 19:22
Thanks Chris, just packaging them up now.
Paul.
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 19:02
3 months later and I've got everything for the rebuild.
I've been trying to find the torque settings for the early 700's. I can find the 750 ones, are they the same? Also, when putting the sludge trap plug back, it just keeps screwing in, I thread-locked it flush and peened it there. I hope this is the correct way.
I will include photos in my next post.
All responses appreciated, Thanks,
Paul.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:20
I would think that using the 750 torque settings you can't go far wrong.However, there will possibly be some variations and amendments,head nuts for instance.I would wait for Charlie (Amboman) to pick up on this thread and see what he says.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 14:04
Head nut torque is the same as the 750s and 850s - 29-32 ft. lbs.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 19:00
Thanks for that, I'm starting the rebuild tomorrow, I'll get some pictures up.
Paul.
Markru12 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markru12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 06:08
I am unfortunately in the same situation regards the cylinders on my 1967 v7
After a fair amount of research i will go the Gilardoni route with 83 mm bore (ambo )
I need to put a few questions out there. 
The casing bores are  92mm what is the external "spigot" diam of the ambo cylinders??
The original 700 cc heads can be used??
What changes need to be made to gaskets both lower and top??
I understand that there is a barrel height difference between the 700cc and ambo by .5mm
does this get removed from the new ambo cylinder or have to be added and if so is this accommodated in the gasket??
The ambo has different valve sizes to the 700cc will this make a big difference if 700 are retained??
Battling to get V7 valve guides any info on this??
Hope someone can assist.

Have a great day
Mark

HPH
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 21:04
Hi Mark,
hope the rebuild goes well.
Mines coming on well, a bit slow, because I ordered the wrong size big end shells (gutsibits have been great).
I'll get the rest of my photos up when I get back of my holiday (Stella Alpina rally)
cheers,
Paul.
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 13:50
Originally posted by Markru12 Markru12 wrote:

I am unfortunately in the same situation regards the cylinders on my 1967 v7
After a fair amount of research i will go the Gilardoni route with 83 mm bore (ambo )
I need to put a few questions out there. 
The casing bores are  92mm what is the external "spigot" diam of the ambo cylinders??
The original 700 cc heads can be used??
What changes need to be made to gaskets both lower and top??
I understand that there is a barrel height difference between the 700cc and ambo by .5mm
does this get removed from the new ambo cylinder or have to be added and if so is this accommodated in the gasket??
The ambo has different valve sizes to the 700cc will this make a big difference if 700 are retained??
Battling to get V7 valve guides any info on this??
Hope someone can assist.

Have a great day
Mark

I'll have to do some measuring of the case and Ambo cylinders.

Yes, V700 heads will work fine. The first of the Ambassadors were basically V700s with 3 mm larger bores - same head with small valves and single springs.

You will need Ambassador/Eldorado (V7 Special/850GT) base and head gaskets.

If anything, the smaller V700 valves seem to make the engine a bit more "torquey" at the expense of top-end power.

Use the valve guides from later models, the retaining rings aren't used.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
Markru12 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markru12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 17:23
Great thanks Charlie.
This is good news i can now order the appropriate parts

Appreciate your input
Best regards

Mark
HPH
Markru12 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markru12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 09:30
Busy with gearbox 4 speed 1968 
Shimming gone well and seems to be coming together
Have not factored in the rear cover gasket thickness(appears that will have no real effect/so thin)
What should the end float/backlash be on the lay shaft/output i currently have .4mm
The clutch shaft has an end  float of .25mm
Are these to large and if so i presume i would have to use a shim behind the bearing on rear case???

Regards

Mark
HPH
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 20:56
Back from holidays.
Engine now running, needs fettling and the charging system needs sorting.
Working on trying to stop the SS1 from dripping too.( I read a original road test and they leaked from new).
Fun and games with the new dynamo belt and clutch cable, both been too short.
I'm also going to try and improve the truly awful front brake, but at least the old girl's running again.
Photos below as promised,
Cheers,
Paul.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic