guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re bore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 14:08
The rear drive vents through the transmission in theory. I've never found the need to add one to the rear drive. None of the Loop (or Tonti)rear drives came with a vent from the factory. I do "burp" the rear drive though - get it up to operating temp, remove the fill plug, replace the fill plug.

Don't over fill it - only 180 cc total.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

I've done a compression check, all good, but I find the engine braking poor, is this normal?   

I think that's probably down to one of motorcycling's heaviest flywheels.

I didn't have a loop frame model, but that reminds me, I noticed several times that my 850 Tonti braked quicker if I pulled the clutch as well. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 19:28
Thanks Dave, I thought a heavy flywheel meant better engine braking
And thanks Amboman, I've burped the bevel twice, but never measured it in dead accurate, just waited till it appeared at the level plug. I'll be more precise next time and see if it helps.
Cheers, Paul.
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 19:31
Tonti brakes are better than loop brakes.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 22:27
The Loop flywheels weigh over 13 pounds and that's without the ring gear and the clutch components, plus the weight of the massive spinning crankshaft.For comparison the LM1 flywheel assembly weighs little more than half that of your Loop.
I weighed the flywheel assembly of a Panther M100 that I used to have many years ago and that must have been the daddy of 'em all, just shy of thirty pounds.

Edited by Dave P. - 29 Sep 2020 at 21:40
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 22:52
Originally posted by PMVERN PMVERN wrote:

Tonti brakes are better than loop brakes.

Not in the wet they ain't.

PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 19:01
'm just pleased that's how they are. My previous Guzzi history- Cali EV, Centauro, modern V7,all had strong engine braking.
The new rubber looks a bit lost, downsized from 120s to standard. I'm sure it'll handle better
Shockers next, rebuild or refresh. What are you guys running?
Cheers Paul.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 23:30
If you find anyone who will/can rebuild the original shocks please let us know. In the meantime, Ikons seem fine on both of my Loops, they were already fitted when I bought the bikes. Hagons should be fine and somewhat cheaper. Hagon will fit the correct springs to suit your requirements if you ask them to.

Edited by Dave P. - 30 Sep 2020 at 23:33

Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 14:21
Ikon has a line of less expensive shocks called "Basix". Non adjustable damping, adjustable spring preload only. But, they're very good quality and rebuildable. Actually priced less than Hagons cost in the US. I've installed a few sets on customer's Loops and they all seem happy with them. 
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 18:11
Thanks again Amboman, had a look at the Ikons, liked them, ordered them
The correct size rubber might not look as good, but it sure makes the old girl agile. Had another nice 100 mile ride again, all good at the mo.
Cheers, Paul.
PMVERN View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMVERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 19:39
Thought I'd post an update seeing as no more riding for the next month
Really pleased with the Ikon shocks (thanks again Amboman). The old girl's running well-thank the gods.
I've got a couple of annoying oil leaks, one from the bellhousing breather and one from the clutch pushrod (I replaced the o rings). But these are minor niggles after two engine rebuilds .Any one got a nice mirror they want to sell me?

Anyway here's a photo.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 23:22
Excellent, nice to see another Loop on the road.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "Bell housing Breather"

james58 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 08:05

Hi Amboman,

A question to you I have a 1971 750 that I am reviving, most of the insides where very good it has cast iron bores however after cleaning the pistons there was a lot of pitting on top and to the sides the engineer said maybe change them as the ones on the side are bothersome . So Gilardonis ? no as all shops I have tried are out of stock and the company itself doesn't know when and if they will be available. I came across some new asso pistons I am wondering if they are compatible I think only the A's are available . I am trying to find specs on the Asso's however not finding much luck, so I am trying here. Is there any info that you could share that might be beneficial for my dilemma ?

Thanks James
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 16:55
Asso makes excellent quality pistons. The "A" is a size grading due to small variances in diameter. Is there a letter stamped into your present pistons? It should be somewhere on the crown.

The other consideration is to make sure they are V7 Special/Ambassador pistons and not 850GT/Eldorado pistons. They have the same 83 mm diameter, but the compression height (distance from the pin to the crown) is 4 mm different. Also, the Ambassador pistons have a domed crown and the Eldorado pistons have a raised flat top.

Mark Etheridge @ Moto Guzzi Classics in California sells forged CP Pistons that he had made to spec. They are slightly oversized to accommodate cylinders that have been damaged. Not inexpensive, but very high quality. If interested, call him at 562-986-0070.
Charlie

james58 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 19:54
Hi
Thanks for that, they are domed . Another question what would installing these pistons do to the balance of the engine is there anything else I should know ? Apparently they are matched with Kenig pins and they have rings and clips supplied . Have you heard anything of the re-manufacturing of Gilardonis and is there another outlet that still sells Asso pistons in case the measurement of cylinders require a B or C rather than a resleeve  if at all needed? I have also contacted Mark I will await his reply.

Thanks for your info muchly appreciated . I hope your country can find its peace.

Thanks James
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic