guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reducing the throttle pressure on a V1000G5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reducing the throttle pressure on a V1000G5
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 13:01

Dear all - I have read quite a few threads that mention this subject, but is there a definitive view on the best way please?  Due to previous racing injuries my wrists get tired quickly and the current set up becomes quite unpleasant in a short time.  I can't tell if my throttle slide return springs are standard or not, but I do know it has the springs in the accelerator pumps.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark Serj
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 13:30
Mark,
On both my V7 Sport and T3 I've replaced the regular VHB springs with PHF Springs, which are around double the length of the VHBs.  Cut around 25mm from the PHF spring and remake the locating tang.  The resultant throttle action is very light and gives no issues of the engine returning to tickover more slowly when closed.  
I was told my several experts that it was the wrong thing to do, but I discussed it with a guy from Eurocarb and that's what he recommended.
Of course it's also worth making sure that your throttle cables are in good condition and well routed, but you won't be disappointed by making this modification.

Edited by Glawster - 02 Jan 2019 at 13:39
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 15:11
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  When you cut the spring short, you won't get a flat closed coil end anymore - did you find that a problem at all please?

regards
Mark Serj
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 16:38
There are different weight PHF springs, get the lightest.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 17:53
I use a wrist rest on my 850GT. I think Oxford sell them.
Ian
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 19:09
I had the same complaint with my T3 and tried a Scottoiler Crampbuster.

Instant fix, cheap, it's been on for years now, couldn't live without it.
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 19:40
Originally posted by FlyingTiger FlyingTiger wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  When you cut the spring short, you won't get a flat closed coil end anymore - did you find that a problem at all please?

regards

Yes, you are right - but no it doesn't cause a problem  Paddy has the springs at £5.95 each

1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 21:50
I found the throttle action on my 1000SP very tough to live with, however as I now realise that cables were gunked up and in poor condition.  New cables, and a little silicon spray has transformed them.  Of course you may not have this issue, but worth bearing in mind.
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Pentode View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 06:59
I also went down the PHF spring route on my G5. Took the opportunity to replace the throttle cables too, spending quite some time getting the routing as good as possible. Makes a huge difference and much more pleasant to ride.
FlyingTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 13:13
Cheers guys.  Have ordered a Scottoiler Crampbuster for a starter.  Will let you know how it goes!
Mark Serj
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 14:04

On special offer.
Go on you know you want one.
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 14:15
Hi Mark, just a word about getting used to the Crampbuster.

When braking, the combined effects of a) grabbing the front brake& b) the weight transfer onto your hands can result in unwittingly pressing the tab and not quite closing the throttle.

Easy to correct, but it caused me a couple of hair-raising moments at first, I wish I had been warned.
I otherwise hope you'll get to enjoy it as I do now.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 14:16
Originally posted by FlyingTiger FlyingTiger wrote:

Cheers guys.  Have ordered a Scottoiler Crampbuster for a starter.  Will let you know how it goes!

Might have to start using mine again, don't have a heavy throttle problem but I am having an issue with constantly holding the twistgrip in one position for long periods. Which I think is what the CB was designed for. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 15:55
This thread has been very enlightening for me, I've often seen those funny plastic things hanging off twist grips but never got around to questioning their function. Luckily copious adolescent exercise has given me strong wrists but I suppose I'd better get one now to future proof my main indulgences.
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 16:50
Originally posted by saultrader saultrader wrote:

This thread has been very enlightening for me, I've often seen those funny plastic things hanging off twist grips but never got around to questioning their function. Luckily copious adolescent exercise has given me strong wrists but I suppose I'd better get one now to future proof my main indulgences.

Careful with that innuendo.
Scottoiler's the name, but it doesn't lubricate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic