guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo issue on 1998 Cali Special

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murringoking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo issue on 1998 Cali Special
    Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 03:39
Hi all
The speedo on my 98 Cali Special / Bassa (a Veglia unit) has started to behave erratically.  Initially the needle started swinging around a bit while at a constant speed, then started reading high.  Also, the needle sometimes didn't "park" properly.  Often it settled above zero but on one occasion settled below zero.  Trip and odo worked fine.  
I have removed and dissembled the speedo and nothing obvious is standing out.  The spring seems fine.  The needle does not seem to get hung up on anything.  There is no stop for the needle which seems a bit strange but I think this is normal.  The various trip and odo gears look fine.  I pulled the speedo cable inner and it is good.  Put it all back together and I estimate that it is still reading around 15-20 kph too high.  The needle is quite steady though.
Any ideas on what to check next please?
Thanks
Geoff
Gappy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 15:34
motorcycle speedometers are notorious for being off, especially the older ones, your speedometer maybe functioning the way it always has from the factory. You are just more aware of what it is doing since it acted up. You could go through a speed zone test to see how far it is really off instead of estamating. However there maybe a lose gear even though it looks alright.
Gappy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 15:46
Oops wrong post
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 16:56
Originally posted by Gappy Gappy wrote:

motorcycle speedometers are notorious for being off, especially the older ones

Probably how they got away with claiming a Le Mans could do 130+ back in the day...  LOL
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 19:57
I got flashed at 32mph by one of those roadside signs, I don't know how accurate they are but I thought I was doing 45 Veglia on a T3 Cali.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 22:40
I've found those signs to be quite accurage according to more modern speedos I've had.

My Le Mans speedo was at rest at 10 mph. So what chance did that give me. There was a stop, a little plastic pin, I succcessfully managed to move it to zero by drilling another small hole in the dial plate and gluing it in.

All the MG speedos I've had (3) all had these zero stop pegs so I don't understand why one should be without.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
murringoking View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murringoking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 06:10
After going for a decent ride the erratic needle has returned with vengeance.  Needle swings around at constant road speed and indicates up to 180 kph while sitting on an estimated 100 kph.  It also is not returning to zero when stopped.  I will pull it apart again and have another look...
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 09:52
many speedos do read high my Sprinter for example a true 70mph shows as 78-80 mph on needle as long as it is within 10% and reading high you are fine ......if you want accurate and cheap you can easily fit a pushbike speedo, a wired one as the wireless ones get interference from the charging system. These bike computers also have a clock on them and as long as you set it correctly they are within 1 mph , the one on the V1000 is spot on the ev one does get a bit confused up towards 70-80mph ...if money not an issue swap it out ETB instruments are very good i researched this a while ago Daft as this sounds few including Veglia are considered "waterproof" What I liked re ETB is they make them so for a small fee they can paint the dial to match , mine are ITI units on the EV ....not only that but Digital Speedos sell a screw into the gearbox gismo to convert the analog speedo drive to digital ...saves faffing about with magnets and such 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 13:29
It is not unreasonable to expect a 20 year old instrument that has been left out in all weather from time to time and subjected to driving rain, flying grit and dust and a whole range of temperatures, to act strangely. I have had my clocks rebuilt by Speedy Cables, it was not cheap but the look brand new and function as new as well. Maybe it is time for some refurbishment?
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic