guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V12 or not V12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budget racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V12 or not V12
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 17:33
hi, new to the forum, I'm contemplating the purchase of a V12 sport 2V any advise, my other option is a Triumph Sprint st1050 (sorry) I'm basically after a sports tourer with character.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 17:59
Many people have claimed that the 2 valve 1200S is the best bike Guzzi ever made.
Pretty well bomb proof engine, and with a bit of tweaking can go very well.

No shortage of character either.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Budget racer View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budget racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 18:18
what is this "Tweaking" you speak of😁
I've always had Japanese bikes interspersed with a few Triumph's and am warey of the Italians rep for reliability. I don't have pots of cash and do all my own servicing where possible.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 18:26
I own a VFR800 (gear driven), a 1200 Sport 8v, and have ridden a demo Triumph Sprint ST.

I'd say the Sprint & the VFR800 are very similar, virtually indistinguishable to ride except the Sprint rider & pillion is less comfortable / relaxed. Both are consummate Sports Tourers if you want a sports bike to ride all day, all week, carry luggage.

The Guzzi 1200S is different. It is all character. Riding the Guzzi is more of an event, whether you want that much input from the bike is a personal thing. The 1200 Sport can tour, fit out with Norge panniers (need kit) & Givi rack/top boxes. And it is a shaftie. The 1200 can do Sport too but it's less of a precision tool and more of a charging rhino.

Tony
Budget racer View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budget racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 18:34
Thanks Tony, I've had a Sprint RS 955 in the past and loved it but I am looking to try slow down a bit and go the character route and I do like a challenge, the bike I'm looking at has luggage fitted.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 18:34
Not a question of reliability but the plastic tanks on the 1200 Sport can distort with the effects of petrol -this is not a uniquely Guzzi issue by any means - but check that the handlebar mounts don't hit the petrol tank at full lock on any bike you look to buy. Ideally it'd be good to know the tank mounting bolt can be removed & refitted (tank can elongate) but natch owner may be reluctant to start stripping down his P & J.

Tony
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 18:46
You'll be getting a lot of character. Frankly the 1200Sport cannot match the VFR for all round, every day performance, but I don't regret getting one. MY VFR hasn't turned a wheel in 3 years....

Just be prepared for niggles. Check out the Click-No-Crank issue ( an easy fix), possible instruments misting/failure. I've had mine 5 summers and not yet suffered these issues but that's the kind of niggles you can get. Worn swing arm or suspension link bearing problems pop up but they're result of lack of grease/maintenance/wet weather related, not a design weakness.

I believe changing the rear shock is a bigger job on the Guzzi than the VFR but again, not an unreliability concern.

Tony
Zecis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zecis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 19:43
Get the stage 1 kit for a 1200 2v and it becomes far more of a "sport" bike. I've owned bikes since I was very very young and am now liucky enough to have a few in the garage - the 1200 is definately my goto bike
Regards Adam
Located near Stonehenge
...A 1200sport (2 valve with stage 1), Daytona RS, and a Centauro GT (the last one is for sale if you are interested)
Griffic View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 22:09
I’ve had one since 2009 and have no regrets. Without doubt the most satisfying and characterful bike to ride compared to the previous mix of Japanese and Hinckley Triumph bikes I've owned since the late seventies. Build quality and reliability compare well with previous bikes. I’ve had starting issues that were sorted with an easy modification (see ‘click no crank.’) and very occasional intermittent issues with the LCD display. Servicing is easy for the home mechanic and maintenance costs comparatively low.  It’s a bike that’s happy to trundle along and let you admire the view or can move along at a pretty rapid rate if the mood takes you. Highly recommended.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by Zecis Zecis wrote:

Get the stage 1 kit for a 1200 2v and it becomes far more of a "sport" bike.

This is the tweaking I suggested.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 07:04
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
2001 California Special. (Modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic