guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemical ally cleaners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemical ally cleaners
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 15:50

Hi Guys,

I am now well into restoring my V1000G5 and the engine doesn’t need rebuilding so it won’t get stripped and soda or vapour blasted.  In the past I would have worn my fingers to the bone cleaning the ally engine up with scotchbrite type products etc., but I reckon I’m missing a trick with some of the chemical ally cleaners on the market now.

Has anyone tried any of these with any degree of success please?

I know oven cleaner works to some extent but I'm looking for something a bit more effective / efficient

Cheers

Mark

Mark Serj
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 17:12
Your question as come at the perfect time for me , thank you and all that answerThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 18:08
Well I’ve used alubright by race clean (google) it’s ok and I got my engine and gearbox quite clean and uniform, but it’s not like a vapour blasting finish.  It might be worth looking at the thisoldtractor website I seem to remember reading about cleaning with soda on there.
I’m also interested in what others do.
Cheers Ian

chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 18:21
I also used Alubright and an industrial acid alloy cleaner on the engine and gearbox neither did a tremendous job in comparison to vapour blasting  I have had a go with most things over the years the hardest bit is the heads and cylinders on the Guzzi that said non of the engine is that easy to clean.
 In retrospect I would have gone and had it vapour blasted .
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 18:21
Sodium hydroxide or caustic soda is probably the one you want.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide
I’m not sure about the mixing ration, but I usually use the recipe for drain cleaner on aluminium parts I want to deanodise.
You can mix it with wallpaper paste to make a nasty etching goo that will sit on the engine while it works.
It will eat most dirt and oxidation off of aluminium, but also the metal itself if left too long.
Wash off with water and citric acid to stop the process when done.

Edited by drøn - 04 Dec 2018 at 18:24
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 20:04
Obviously vapour blasting gives the best finish, but if you're not stripping the engine I can recommend Phosphoric Acid.  That's the active ingredient in Alloy wheel cleaners but then it's been diluted to ca 10%.  You can get the 85% stuff on ebay.  Results are quite good.  Below the crankcase is being treated.  It was the same colour as the timing chest.

DSC_2185 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 20:15
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 07:06
Thanks, RLO. Good advice in that little video - Keep away from Children and Animals, which I think was aimed at the public in general, as opposed to any specific sector of the community! I couldn't understand why no-one was wearing a hard hat and ear defenders though. Was her crib sheet propped up on the ironing board?
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 07:56
I notice she had a face shield and mask on the table. Hope she didn't splash it with caustic soda!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 08:02
Wouldn't matter until she went to put them on before doing the ironing.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 08:52
Sexist comment?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 09:25
More a reference to the person who posted the link.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 09:54
I used to use non-bio washing powder mixed with fairy liquid into a paste, work it into all the fins and crevices with a toothbrush and leave for 20 minutes then pressure wash agitating with a brush. It was a tip I got from a former police bike mechanic and was good enough for me. I have an old stainless steel sink that I put over a manhole (manhole cover off of course) and stand the bike over or stick loose engine or parts in there to clean. 

Gunk and a toothbrush works ok as well especially on disassembled parts that you don't want to spray with water.

Good luck
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:42
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

How'd you find out I wear dresses when I'm doing the ironing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:20
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

How'd you find out I wear dresses when I'm doing the ironing?

Yes, I need to pay more attention
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic