guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:35
I've just had a thought, and there is one other thing that might be worth checking before you send the clocks off

My 05 Breva 1100 got dragged home in a van after a ride in the rain and I eventually tracked the fault to a shorting speed sensor 

So, it might be worth unplugging the speed sensor and see if the problem is goes away.

Mine was bad enough to blow the fuse, but yours might be more intermittent perhaps

The plug is under the tank on the RH side of the bike 

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 08:44
Plugged in the dash i got off a 1200 sport all lights up sweeps dials but the digital box on dash is blank.clocks are off abs model mine is non abs
Off to carmo me thinks
Any ideas ?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 09:07
Those two would not be compatible.

There was a place in Norfolk (I think) mentioned somewhere here a week or so bak, might be an alternative to sending it to Holland.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:59
All,
checked speed sensor , all looks good at the fork leg but need to pull the tank and unplug to see if it makes any difference.
Brian got a reply from the guys in norfolk ,they said they would have a look but no promises.
went back to the bike after trying my original clocks (they just keep flashing and sweeping ignition on or off )and the doner clocks from a 1200 sport (they lit up,dial sweep but nothing in square lcd
window )
at this point i had nothing at the starter or indicators only horn and headlight.
checked all my fuses again just in case,all good.
no idea why ,but i plugged original clocks back in.
same result , erratic sweeping.
then all of a sudden , sweep , stop ,neutral light hazards flashed for 5 seconds then it just sat daring me to press the starter.
here we go !!!
springs into life as if FU** all had ever been wrong.
left it to warm up,scared to turn it off.
but off restart several times not a glitsch.
gonna leave it a couple of hours and try again.
i can only assume the last of the moisture has gone ?
still not sure why the 1200 clocks did not work and i am reluctant to plug them back in.
craig
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 16:50
The 1200 clocks were from an ABS bike. They use the front ABS sensor for the speedo, but yours uses the speed sensor.
The 1200 clock would have been looking for the ABS connection, and of course wouldn't find it.

But pleased yours is now toeing the line. Yes possibly all the moisture has dried out now, including the speed sensor.

The speed sensors are known to be a bit dodgy in wet weather, and it would be worth you looking at yours, and adding some sort of protective coating to it, especially round where the cable entry is.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 19:36
Hi brian
Checked the speed sensor at front fork all looks ok but will put some sealant round it anyway.
My clocks are not completely back to normal still the odd glitch so may still need to have them looked at.
Hazard triangle is flashing on dash instead of rev limit light for imobiliser.but the bike starts and everything works so thats good.
I may look for somewere local to have a look at them.there appear to be more issues when the ignition is off.
When on and running clocks work perfect
Craig
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 17:22
hi
has anyone got any 1st hand experience of scorpio electronics in norfolk?
website looks impressive
received an email from them and if they cant repair clocks they only charge £25 plus vat to diagnose.
just looking for feedback
craig
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 13:56
All
sent clocks off to scorpio 2 weeks ago.
spoke to the guy today and they cannot find anything wrong with them.
not even any water ingress.
I sent videos with the clocks showing the one and only issue that remains with them.
when the ignition is off the breva logo flashes up on the lcd screen as it does when you start the bike.
they are gonna bench test again to see if they can make it glitch.
totally baffled now.the bike starts,runs and everything works as it should apart from the above glitch
any ideas ?
the guy at scorpio seems spot on to deal with.
craig
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 07:47
Good to hear positive reports about Scorpio - I'd picked up their name from the bloke that fitted my new tyres the other week and wondered what they were like

However, here's thought, lets assume that Scorpio are correct and there is nothing wrong with the clocks. If that's correct, then the cause of the issue must come from somewhere else

I'm wondering if the ignition switch could be doing something unexpected? Its certainly positioned in the right place to fill up with water in a storm and cause strange events

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 08:07
Thats my thoughts
I guess if theres a short in the ignitionit could allow blips of power to the dash which may cause breva logo to show and about 10mm of movement on the dial needles.
If you can picture turning your key for a split second every30 seconds or so thats what i have.i videod it and will try and upload it.
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 08:16
I'm sure that there's a thread doing the rounds at the moment on one of the MG forum as to how to fix the ignition switch on a Norge - but I can't find it. 

If I track it down I'll post a link
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 09:56
That would be good to read
Gonna pull the ecu plug and spry with contact cleaner just in case but the bike runs spot on.
Its a shame there is no workaround for the dash 2 basic clocks would be fine by me
Craig
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by melonman melonman wrote:

That would be good to read
Gonna pull the ecu plug and spry with contact cleaner just in case but the bike runs spot on.
Its a shame there is no workaround for the dash 2 basic clocks would be fine by me
Craig

I have had exactly the same thoughts in the past Craig and .......... there might be Wink

I read in passing a while back on GuzziTech IIRC that the CARC maps can be loaded into the previous IAW 59 AM ECU that is plug and play for engine operations. 

The beauty of that is that it doesn't have the link to the dash for the immobiliser Thumbs Up

I've just filed that away at the back of my mind for the time being, but it will be a darn site easier, if true, than going down the Microsquirt route!!

Tris 
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
melonman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:55
Hi tris
Not sure i follow your last post
Which is down to me not understanding not your explanation.
Do you mean different ecu without the canbus to the dash ?
Any ideas on how easy an ignition is to replace or repair.
Would a dose of contact cleaner in ignition do any harm
Craig
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 13:40
If I have it right, there is no CanBus connection on the 59M to the dash for the imobiliser but it will accept the maps from the 5AM. More reseach is need though

Microsquirt is the small size Megasquirt which is a DIY ECU go here http://megasquirt.info/

We have all the sensors needed on the bike already so all you need to do is hook them up to the Microsquirt and map the heck out of it and put whatever set of gauges you like on the bike essentially

Sounds easy when you say it fast!

Re ECUs and injected bikes in general - well I'm on the same steep learning curve you are I suspect!

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic