guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM1 rear sets ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LM1 rear sets ?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:10
It seems that there is a very nice selection on Guzzi bits that I could get to replace my really clapped out standard foot pegs. Tarozzi look nice and then there are the super expensive Agostini items at about double the price (Yikes) . Do any of you lovely people have any recommendations about going down this route or not ?

As you can tell, I am looking to buy myself some stocking fillers !
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:39
I made my own, the footpegs are stainless steel bar reduced diameter and with a blind threaded hole at the inboard end they bolt on through the rear of the pair of frame bolt holes from the inside of the frame. The controls are cut down and shaped to suit with a new tapped hole and allen head/hex bolt that hold the rubbers. 

They work well for me and fit my size 11's but possibly could be a little more elegant?

Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 08:28
Chris that is a very good effort. Well done. I am not sure that I have the necessary expertise to perform such a feat of engineering. If I tried to make some rear sets, I suspect that both me and the bike would end up in a ditch !
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:16
I get what you say and I had a small advantage when I made them, I worked in a steelwork fabrication company running the drawing office, but had full access to the workshop. The footpeg carriers I cut the front arm off with a band saw and dressed the end to a curve with a grinder. The pedals were  likewise cut and the cut ends dressed to a curve but they were heated then bent to shape and drilled and tapped. The footpegs were turned up for me by a machine shop nearby, the ends have a reduced diameter to fit into the recesses in the footpeg carriers that originally had the bolt heads in. 

So not too much fabrication, and the tricky (for me) machining work was subbed out. You could always sub the whole job out?

Edited by Chris950s - 14 Dec 2018 at 11:20
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 15:42
I fitted Tarozzi rearsets on my LM2, looked at the Agostini but; too expensive and not for me due to not being so easily adaptable to reverse shift* due to the more direct linkage, which is doubtless better the convoluted standard & Tarozzi setup but not reversible (other than replacing internal gearbox parts).

The Tarozzi look good, are solid and appear well made although I've heard (being alloy) they break easily if the bike goes down - spare parts are available though. They do put your knees at quite a sharp angle and I had my spare seat made 20mm thicker to be more comfortable.  

*I wanted reverse shift as my I've always preferred it and my other bikes are that way so it avoids any confusion. 
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 17:26
Yes, that is what I have heard DD. They are not so good if you are a tall because they force your leg to be all cramped up like a grass hopper.  It really is quite a small bike when I compare it to my laverda which feels very big and tall by comparison. 
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 21:10
I've got Tarozzis on my LM2.  I find that they are comfortable (with a thicker seat) as they move your legs back out of the way of the heads.  They look quite good and suit the bike.

HOWEVER - they are not well designed. The gearchange wears away at the alloy giving a lot of slop that has to be shimmed out and I've seen them snap from an innocuous drop (silencer mounted off the rear of the casting).
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic