guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fork Collar Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 15:07
Could be that someone repacked them with a white lithium grease, not the best choice IMO. I'd definitely clean and repack them, replace the seals, make sure the shimming is correct. My preferred grease is regular old amber colored wheel bearing grease, available from NAPA.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
blackflag View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 19:05
I does look like some water mixed with the grease but not sure how, I don't typically ride in the rain and don't even wash the bike that often? 

As for the fork, I used a chisel to open up the pinch slot and beat on the fork plug with a dead blow hammer. I had the plug backed out a few turns and beat on it pretty hard but no movement. The fork tube appears to be in there pretty good so I guess I will have to look into a puller, not sure I'm ready to try an impact hammer as discussed in the article.

I'm doing rear brakes on my Land Cruiser today but will try to look into the puller in the next couple days, does anyone have any advice on that procedure?
1970 V7 Ambassador
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 14:30
It usually takes more force than a dead blow hammer can deliver. Most of the time I have to use a chunk of brass and a 3 lb. sledge to break them loose. Pull the plug, remove the washer and then thread the plug back in with just an 1/8" gap.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
blackflag View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 16:44
Thanks Charlie, so the chunk of brass protects the cap while you beat on it? I don't have a piece of brass that big but could do a block of wood, I have a small piece of white oak that's hard but shouldn't be too hard.

It sounds like you have to really beat on them, I guess I need to take it up a level and see if I can get at least the one side off.
1970 V7 Ambassador
blackflag View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 00:57
So I split my block of wood pretty quick then decided to try to drive the chisel in the slot a bit further and give it another go with the shot hammer. I got up on a stool so I was at a good height and had some leverage then beat down on it will all I had and the fork tube came loose.

I've got it off now and will see if I can get the collar off with a strap wrench next. If not I guess I will have to break down and buy the tool.

Thanks,
1970 V7 Ambassador
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:15
When you try and remove the collar you might try some heat, obviously you have to be careful of the chrome and paint. I think that the oring that seals the collar can sort of lock the collar on so it can help if you can soften it up. I’ve only done four of them so I’m no expert but just my observations so far.
Cheers Ian
blackflag View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 00:58
Thanks for the advice, I'll use my heat gun on that area for a bit before I try to crank it off. I'm trying to finish a project on my Land Cruiser so it will probably be a few days before I can get back to working on the Guzzi.
1970 V7 Ambassador
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic