guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000SP slow cranking... Bosch starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:03
I googled it but didn’t find a parts supplier. The magnets were broken up, so no chance of repair.  I’ll have another look!!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:57
Jalfrezi, This might be of use to you.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 13:00
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

I googled it but didn’t find a parts supplier. The magnets were broken up, so no chance of repair.  I’ll have another look!!

Read this.

And this.
http://www.largiader.com/tech/valeo/

Edited by Brian UK - 23 Nov 2018 at 13:07
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 00:11
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Read this.

Topic now 9 years old.
Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 07:18
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will persevere. I'm FAR too mean to chuck something like this away without attempting to refurb it, especially when the rest of it is in good nick.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 07:47
The topic might be old, but the information is still valid.

Any progress on the Bosch motor yet Jalfrezi?
Brian.

Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:41
A bit mixed overall.

I got my local bike shop to load test the battery, as  I was getting a new front tyre, and although they told me it was good, I could see it was on the border between good/bad.

I have found that just cranking it over for longer seems to have improved the ability of the starter to run well, so I'm guessing it needs some work, as it seems to have loosened up with longer cranking.

I recently made a quick repair to my throttle cable, and since then she's been harder to start, so I'm planning on re-doing that job as I have more time now, I can make sure everything is routed well, and lubed.  I'll balance the carbs too, as I suspect that my work has changed the balance, hence the difficult starting.

Went out to look at this today, jumped it with the car battery, and she spun a little faster, and for longer without slowing.  However I blew the fuse on the starter relay, dunno if this is significant, but thinking this may indicate a problem in the starter motor.  Replaced the fuse and she wouldn't fire up, turns out I'd disconnected the electronic ignition when I removed the side panel.  Plugged back in, and running now, but misfiring.  I suspect this is the carb balancing.

BTW, plugs are pretty black, so running very rich I'd guess, I'll look at that next.  Raining now, so a bit demotivated as working outside, but I'll press on.
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 14:15
If it spun faster and for longer with the other battery, that is an indication that your battery is not what it was. But have you just tried charging it?
Blew the fuse on the start relay. This could be due to lower battery volts not pulling in the solenoid quickly or that solenoid not moving freely.
Either way if it's slow to close the contacts the power raken by the solenoid windings will blow that fuse. Worth checking that when the PO "overhauled" the starter, he didn't put grease on the solenoid plunger. It should be clean and dry inside and out.
Brian.

Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 14:41

If it spun faster and for longer with the other battery, that is an indication that your battery is not what it was. But have you just tried charging it?
Blew the fuse on the start relay. This could be due to lower battery volts not pulling in the solenoid quickly or that solenoid not moving freely.
Either way if it's slow to close the contacts the power raken by the solenoid windings will blow that fuse. Worth checking that when the PO "overhauled" the starter, he didn't put grease on the solenoid plunger. It should be clean and dry inside and out.

Thanks, yes has been charged.
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 19:42
By the way, if you were thinking of moving to a newer type starter, this might be of interest.
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 20:05

Either way if it's slow to close the contacts the power taken by the solenoid windings will blow that fuse. Worth checking that when the PO "overhauled" the starter, he didn't put grease on the solenoid plunger. It should be clean and dry inside and out.

I'd be having it apart for a good dose of looking at. Big smile

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:22
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

Read this.

Topic now 9 years old. Big smile
Bike only 40 years old!
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 16:26
Fairy nuff, it was the current availablility of Valeo spares that I was querying. Big smile

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 16:43
As was, I thought, pointed out in that thread, there are lots of second hand spares about which could be used if not new.
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 16:59
Yes, 9 years ago, what about now? Big smile

And I still wouldn't know what to ask for.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic