guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000SP slow cranking... Bosch starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 17:06
6RA starter. The car ones have the opposite rotation though which is down to the way the brushes are mounted I think. But I think the main case with magnets is the same.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 16:54
Well, this is finally fixed.  A new battery helped, but the recon. starter was really the answer.  Much better now.

So much for the previous owners claims for refurbishing the starter, the guy who rebuilt it said that it still had orginal brushes on the negative side.
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
sardineone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sardineone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 20:02
Good to hear you found the source of your problem.  So how many miles/years on the old starter just for comparison purposes???  My original starter on my 86'Lemans 1000 with 57,000+ miles is still doing fine.
George

One owner 86' Lemans 1000 (member of the family) / BMW R1200ST (current work horse)

You are what you have ridden!
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 20:17
Another satisfied customer of The Starter Bay then Jalfrezi?  My reconditioned Bosch starter fairly flies round now Ian's given it the once over.  I was on the point of buying a new Valeo - so glad I didn't.

1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 20:33
Originally posted by sardineone sardineone wrote:

Good to hear you found the source of your problem.  So how many miles/years on the old starter just for comparison purposes???  My original starter on my 86'Lemans 1000 with 57,000+ miles is still doing fine.

36 years, and 109000 miles according to the speedo.  Pretty impressive!
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 20:34
Originally posted by Glawster Glawster wrote:

Another satisfied customer of The Starter Bay then Jalfrezi?  My reconditioned Bosch starter fairly flies round now Ian's given it the once over.  I was on the point of buying a new Valeo - so glad I didn't.

Yes very happy, however the new MotoBatt battery has caused a few minor wiring challenges, I shall be re-working the connections soon.  Battery is great so far though.
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 21:29
Yes, pity what seems to be a good battery is let down by those crappy terminals.

Brian.

swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 22:06
when I up rated my mk 2,  the starter couldn't cope especially in Germany in the winter. I asked Dr John what he thought and he said 'fit a Valeo'  !00,00 miles later--still starting with no problem; even if the battery is down a bit!  Nuf said?
swede in the shed
danmiluk View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danmiluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 23:07
Best thing to do is strip your starter, clean it and reassemble. I had the same problem. Worked a treat for mine. If you get the starter done mine fires, cold and check with in 1 second
Dan
Artie101 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:27
I would say first look and connections, tight and clean then it can only be the armiture taking to much current which if the case, worse in cold weather  Artie
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 22:11
If you look back up this topic, you will see a refurbished starter motor solved the problem.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic