guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New French speed limit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 13:23
Old maps are better. And the renaming of the roads is traditional. Not sure what the Romans called their  Winchester to Manchester Road, but it wasn't AXXXIV

I was only trying to work out a short while back the equivalent of the 'non-motorway' journey I used to make, many years back and on L-plates, from Oxford to the Huddersfield area. And the long and short of it is that much of that route has been thwarted by motorway/fast dual carriageway.

Edited by Barry - 24 Nov 2018 at 08:50
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 14:00
Ian, probably not much/ any cheaper than Motorail, but at least you start your journey on interesting roads and it saves time. I haven't had the pleasure of using this service but if/ when I next go south by bike, I would certainly consider it. No trek down to Dover for a start - I really hate that journey. I prefer Portsmouth as a departure point whenever possible. Anyway, I am beginning to ramble, probably because I am on my third rum tot....
Check out:
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 00:23
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Old maps are better. And the renaming of the roads is traditional. Not sure what the Romans called their  Winchester to Manchester, but it wasn't AXXXIV

LOL

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 00:28
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

It's a bit like the way roads have been renumbered in the UK to force you onto the motorway - eg trying to get onto the old A34 north of Oxford is a nightmare if you don't know what they've done.

Similarly, following the A6 south thru Penrith. It "disappears" at the A66 roundabout. Still on maps, but bu99er all any road signs for it.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 17:00
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Ian, probably not much/ any cheaper than Motorail, but at least you start your journey on interesting roads and it saves time. I haven't had the pleasure of using this service but if/ when I next go south by bike, I would certainly consider it. No trek down to Dover for a start - I really hate that journey. I prefer Portsmouth as a departure point whenever possible. Anyway, I am beginning to ramble, probably because I am on my third rum tot....
Check out:

That looks like a good option and certainly better than the autoroute.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Normski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Normski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 08:25
I rode in France several times this year. On the D roads I prefer to use there was no trouble riding at 60mph, it's not difficult to scrub off 10 mph from that if I see anything suspicious ahead. I was flashed several times but so far as I know there is no agreement between France and U.K. to enable them to send you a fine at home.
I'm not advocating riding recklessly but this one size fits all limit is an example of the worst of interfering bureaucracy. The results from a trial scheme were not allowed to be published. We can only wonder why?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 08:56
I thought that agreement started earlier this year. However, the French system fines the owner of the vehicle regardless of who was driving/riding so doesn't fit with UK law.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 09:20
The results of the very limited 2016 trial scheme you mention were published by the association "40 Millions d'Automobilistes" (320.000 members). The global result was an increase in accident numbers.

Normski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Normski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I thought that agreement started earlier this year. However, the French system fines the owner of the vehicle regardless of who was driving/riding so doesn't fit with UK law.

That is bad news if they do.
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 14:50

Being the cynic that I am, I have a feeling that the new speed limits were brought in partly to increase use of the Péage.

The French autoroutes are privately owned and run so can't see any advantage to the French government in forcing people onto them. 

The private company will presumably pay tax on it's revenues...
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 14:55
Originally posted by Dukedesmo Dukedesmo wrote:

Being the cynic that I am, I have a feeling that the new speed limits were brought in partly to increase use of the Péage.

The French autoroutes are privately owned and run so can't see any advantage to the French government in forcing people onto them. 

The private company will presumably pay tax on it's revenues...

And/or Government ministers possibly shareholders...    Ermm
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic