guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New French speed limit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New French speed limit
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 15:34
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/speed-limits-in-france/

I wonder if this is going to be a problem, or at least an inconvenience when touring in France.

Planning to ride down to Marseilles and then on to Corsica next summer I'd intended to do most of the journey on small roads as is my habit. These roads now have a 50MPH speed limit where there is no physical barrier between the two lanes. The old 850GT doesn't really like 50MPH in top gear, being more comfortable and smoother at 60MPH. So, do I ride the 700 miles in fourth gear? I think not. So I and many others will be forced onto duel carriageways or worse still the toll roads. So, Question. How does your Guzzi like long trips at 50MPH in top gear?
I guess v50 models might get away with it but what about the higher geared 850's and above?

Edited by Dave P. - 16 Nov 2018 at 15:37
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 16:10
I don't know about those models, but the V7 ii is quite happy at 50 in 5th gear (of 6). In fact that is my preferred ambling velocity on quieter roads.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 16:23
Would it be happy in top gear though? I guess you wouldn't wish to undertake a journey of hundreds of miles and rarely get into top.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 16:52
I can see it might be a problem for older bikes with a 4 speed box, but as many cars and bikes now have six gears they aren't really stressed being in top at 50mph.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 17:10
First just to say at moment not all road signs have been changed but the new lower limit still applies, that the new limits are being actively policed, and finally the police are currently policing Stop lines and there's a lot of 'em in France, often where UK would use Give Ways. I was eyeballed & frowned at one by a traffic cop - ooops.

My 1200 Sport 8v will trundle along happily at 50mph in top - about 2,500 rpm - but my time in France I don't recall I did tjat much, the bike is more responsive in a lower gear. Sometimes I popped it into sixth just for a change but bends soon put me down a gear or two.  

On my 1200 Sport, with a fuel consumption display, riding at 50 mph whichever gear I was in didn't make any real difference to overall fuel consumption: higher revs = smaller throttle position.

I went with riding in the most comfortable. The difference in petrol cost was perhaps £10 over 2,000 miles, if that.  Given the overall cost of 2-3 weeks touring I wouldn't spoil enjoying my holiday just to avoid £10. 

Tony

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 17:35
Actually the stop lines have always been policed, always watch for that.

The new speed limit is even more bizarre when you look at the detail. When it came in the notices on the autoroutes said it applied to all roads "sans seperateur" ie. with no central reservation.

It now appears that where you have three lanes on one carriageway, 2 in one direction, 1 in the other, 80kph applies to the single lane, but 90kph still applies to the twin lane direction. The speed limit signs do reflect this. However, never assume it applies to the bit of road you are on, it seems to be according to the whim of somebody.

Some sort of Gallic logic I suppose.

The advert I saw on French TV showed a car going along a main road and a truck pulling out. Car stopped in time and the slogan was "at 80kph you have more time". Seems to me they should be concentrating on stopping trucks pulling out without looking.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 17:47
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Would it be happy in top gear though? I guess you wouldn't wish to undertake a journey of hundreds of miles and rarely get into top.
Yep Dave, I would really. I rarely use 6th, it is more of an overdrive. I only tend to use it on motorways and long dual carriageway and I avoid these if there is an interesting alternative. At anything up to 60, I find it is happiest in 5th.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 18:52
Seems to me they should be concentrating on stopping trucks pulling out without looking.

Plus 10 for that.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 19:02
I'm surprised that the 1200 sport will trundle along at 2500 RPM. The old Loops are much happier at 3000RPM plus.They too will thump along at lower rev's but without the rear wheel transmission shock absorber, my concern is for the UJ and transmission in general.Mr Richardson writes in Guzziology that he likes to stay at 3500 plus rev's on any Guzzi.

jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 19:28
The T3 is not happy at 50 mph in top, 55 (3000 rpm) is really the strict minimum for smoothness and a modicum of throttle responsiveness. I could imagine riding in 4th with a 5 speeder, but not in 3rd with a 4 speeder.

I say "imagine", because looking at the back end of a lorry I can't pass for hours on end is not worth contemplating . Perhaps the only off-highway solution is to plan a route via the "départementales" where surveillance is less profitable.

Edited by jpc - 16 Nov 2018 at 19:31
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 19:58
The other thing about French road rules is that, when on minor roads in particular, you don't know who has to give way at a junction until you gat to it and can see whether there is a white line across the road joining. Crazy.
You might have priority,but it might be priorité a droite.
Equally at roundabouts, it is normally the case that you give way to traffic on the RB, but I came across one which was the opposite.
Brian.

ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 21:22
I've travelled in France most years for at least the last 30. I have seen and been caught out by "priorite a droite" a few times in that time, but this year when I was in Northern France I came across about 6 of these and went straight across if I recall corectly, 3 of them. One was in a small village, the car opposite gave me a lot of arm waving to draw my attention to my error much to my surprise and embarrassment. Anyway, thankfully no motorcyclists or car drivers were hurt this year, but I haven't seen more than one or two usually when I go there.

I do tend to stick to the "departmental" roads as much as possible. I never saw one "manned" speed trap (unusual) and of the cameras that I saw (on the RN's), a speed camera warning had always been given within about a mile of said camera, so that is quite fair. Certainly every time a speed camera sign was displayed, a camera was soon evident. I always switch my sat nav "camera warning" off when in France as I understand it is illegal to not do so.

I still love riding in France.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 21:45
I think all the sat nav makers now comply with French law in that they are only allowed to display "danger zones" in France.
Certainly my Garmin is compliant.

On my last few trips I have noticed more villages displaying a priorité a droite sign at the entrance. So they are not thinking of changing.
I had a near miss (in the car) early this year when another car just came out with no warning. I managed to swerve over to the other side of the road and avoid it. Driving along that C road, some side roads had a stop line, some not. No way to tell until you are too close. And they wonder why they have a high accident rate.

Rant over. LOL
Brian.

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 00:02
Just got back from France ( on four wheels as I had the 90 year old with me)
many small towns have a 30KPH limit ( 20mph??
and the Gendarmes were enforcing it
Priority a droit seems to come and go, they have signs telling you wether its in force, but I keep forgetting ( in Belgium its still currents)
I got flashed by a speed camera on the RN to Cambrai
if I get a fine with a pretty picture I shall not worry too much
the camera that flashed me was forward facing, so on the guzzi I would get away with it !!
anyway going slower is more fun

TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 09:08
On matter of low revs, I was trying to say that although my Guzzi can be ridden in top at 50 mph (2,500 rpm) I hardly did, for reasons of responsiveness.  I been on rider-training with a few Police riders who advocate riding at relatively high revs to maintain maximum throttle response.

On my Sport's Euro 3 fuel injection the fuelling gets a bit rough around 3,000 rpm , presume it's the transition between closed & open loop, whatever reason it's nicer to ride above or below that fuelling point.

Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Mr Richardson writes in Guzziology that he likes to stay at 3500 plus rev's on any Guzzi.
Interesting, that feels right to me too. I imagine motorcycle engines are designed & tested for spirited use. As an aside I suspect that's where the 8 valve 1200 debacle stems from - the engines were tested at high revs for 60,000 hours and then Guzzi-buyers sat around idling in London traffic or taking short slow trips to the pub/cafe/shops. Just a thought.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic