guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 11:56
Yes, you're probably right. But there might be enough left of the existing one. Otherwise a shell mill could take the surrounding metal down a bit?

Failing that, your insert wouldn't be too hard to make and could be fitted with jb weld or similar although there isn't a lot of room in there.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 16:01
Looks like someone tried to drill it?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 17:01
You might get away with a plumbers `tap reseating` tool which would skim the lip and they are quite cheap from Srewfix etc.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 20:30
I have tried removing the ones from the old carbs but they do not want to come out.
I could drill the damaged one out but then.. where do i get one that fits perfectly.
I think I will leave as it is for now..
what problem would I face?

Thanks for your help.
el__burro

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 20:50
If the seal doesn't work then you would get a rich mixture on that side particularly at lower throttle openings.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 08:49
As the "choke" on the 850GT isn't absolutely necessary to start and warm up the engine you could blank the hole permanently. Starting is easily accomplished by giving a couple of twists of the throttle thus employing the accelerator pumps to give a rich mixture and then pressing the button.

Edited by Dave P. - 21 Nov 2018 at 08:54
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:45
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

As the "choke" on the 850GT isn't absolutely necessary to start and warm up the engine you could blank the hole permanently. Starting is easily accomplished by giving a couple of twists of the throttle thus employing the accelerator pumps to give a rich mixture and then pressing the button.
Same technique as me Dave, I think I learned it from an old car with Weber carburettor.
But doesn't always get the SP1000 started. In colder weather I do need to use the cold-start device on that one.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 16:30
Originally posted by el__burro el__burro wrote:

I have tried removing the ones from the old carbs but they do not want to come out. 

Are we talking about the same thing?

^ It's machined into the body, it is not a separate thing that can be unscrewed.

el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 18:03
Good to know that i could blank that "hole".
I will send em back as i find a cheaper pair (
hopefully with no issue).
Thanks
el__ burro
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 18:07
..on a different note.
Ignition switch.
Not having any luck with duplicating the only key i have,
I was thinking of getting a new switch (aftermarket).
Could i fit one with 2 positions or must have 3 OFF, lights only and ON?
Thanks
el__burro
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 15:22

..on a different note.
Ignition switch.
Not having any luck with duplicating the only key i have,
I was thinking of getting a new switch (aftermarket).
Could i fit one with 2 positions or must have 3 OFF, lights only and ON?
Thanks
el__burro

The original Marelli key switch has three positions: off, on and a spring loaded start position (just like a car). The lights on-off is done entirely by the left handlebar switch. Sounds like someone may have replaced your Marelli switch with something aftermarket already.

If yours is the original (and someone has just wired it different), key blanks and keys cut to code are available from Keys4Classics in Australia. http://www.keys4classics.com/html/MotoGuzzi.html

I prefer to use an original type switch, MG Cycle offers this one which only differs in the connection terminal type. 
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_140&products_id=320
Perhaps Gutsibits carries the same item?

Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
el__burro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 15:39
Definetely the PO replaced the original one.
The only key I have is marked with H44 only, no brand or anything else.
I have tried 4 or 5 shop but nobody could diplicate it.
I am after a HD style switch with a round key.
3 wires or 2 that is my query.

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 16:50
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 19:55

3, OFF, lights only and ON?

That's sounds like how the 1980's boxer BMW's used to work. Had to go thru turning the sidelights on to get to the ignition run position. (Then lights went off, obviously.) Always struck me as odd.

Tonti Guzzi's (newer than yours) were Off, On, Park. Key can be removed in off and park.

Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 14:56
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Original and quite cheap from Stein Dinse.

Cheap? Sort of. Definitely not original though. The one from MG Cycle is nearly identical to the original except for the male spade terminals vs. female bullets.

Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic