guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1000SP crash protection (crashbars)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000SP crash protection (crashbars)
    Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 09:12
Hi,

I need to replace my crashbars following my recent spill.  They did the job more or less, but bent right back on to the cylinder head (I have headguards too, which are scuffed).

Damage to the bike includes:
  • Crashbar bent and scraped up (naturally)
  • Headguard scuffed
  • I now have an oil leak from the front of the rocker cover, so I guess some damage, but need to look more closely.  Hoping nothing is broken, but I suspect it is.
  • Footrest/hanger bent like it's made of cheese
  • Fairing scuffed
  • Exhaust downpipe scuffed at the bottom bend
Naturally I'll fix the damage, but would like to minimise this should it happen again.  Are there other options to consider for protection?  I see that I can get rear crashbars, but unclear if these would save the footrests next time, any experience/views on this most welcome. 

Also, I don't have my fairing lowers fitted.  If I fit them, will that change my crashbar options?
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:36
fit rear crashbars from a V1000 the front ones have 2 options either the sort of "triangular ones allowing fairing lowers etc or the more square ones as fitted to the V1000 G5/Convert and early T3 ....if you look on Gutsi bits they will have both types listed both will fit as it is the same frame ..... but the larger squarer ones will unlikely allow you to fit lower fairings .hope this helps by the way look at Gutsibits or Reboot for used and new stuff try getting hold of Ray Dunkley "Exsmokingbiker" as he does have some spade spares and is very reasonable, as for rocker leaking pop off the cover check it out likely to be the oil banjo or gasket worth swapping hope this helps
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 23:04
Not sure how much minimizing is practically achievable. When I dropped my Spada (invisible diesel on a roundabout in the dark) the right handlebar bent back and dented the tank. Like you, silencer big dent and scrapes. Bent brake pedal. Legshield reduced to loose fibreglass matting. (Or whatever it's made of.) I think it had rocker cover guards on which worked in term of saving the cover, if memory is correct. Nevertheless RH side guard was well mashed up - logically, crash bars take most of the damage instead of whatever. On my later 850 (with Sprint copy of Spada fairing) I finally took the legshields off and put on the trianglular bars like Ken mentions, PLUS rocker guards, but TBH the bars look like they'd bend back into the head(s) anyway. If if bike just falls over in the car park. Fixing up all the Spada's bent and scratched bits was time consuming and expensive. The scraped silencer still worked so kept using it for months after.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 08:27
There's a pair of convert front crash bars on ebay at the moment in Bristol.
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 17:51
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

...logically, crash bars take most of the damage instead of whatever. On my later 850 (with Sprint copy of Spada fairing) I finally took the legshields off and put on the trianglular bars like Ken mentions, PLUS rocker guards, but TBH the bars look like they'd bend back into the head(s) anyway...

I think this may be what happened here . Just think what the damage would have been like without the crashbars. This is on a LeMans I'm working on at the moment.
1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 18:39
For your exhaust buy some flap wheels 180s and 320s from these people. 

Takes most of the scoring out leaving it smooth enough to polish back up so they do.

Cheers
Min

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by v7john v7john wrote:

[QUOTE=Mike H]. Just think what the damage would have been like without the crashbars. This is on a LeMans I'm working on at the moment.

Yep, so still need the head protectors to protect them from the crashbars. Confused

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 16:27
Originally posted by theone&onlymin theone&onlymin wrote:

For your exhaust buy some flap wheels 180s and 320s from these people. 
Takes most of the scoring out leaving it smooth enough to polish back up so they do.
Cheers Min
Min how do you mount those flappy wheels on the exhaust? I can see that they wold work well to protect the pipes if you dropped the bike, a bit like multi layer knee sliders! Wink
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic