guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

750 Breva Engine noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 16:03
I've followed this thread with interest to the extent of  listening frequently to my own B750 when hot and pulling the clutch but as already posted not hearing anything  like you describe  , maybe a slight change in "tone" of the engine when the clutch is pulled but nothing more.
Never having stripped a Guzzi engine and  I stand to be corrected but looking at all the videos on the" this old tractor website "  I don't think removing the sump will give access to the crank thrust washer area .  It  looks like splitting the crankcases is the only way .  Maybe a borescope might but it's hard to see . 

Or alternatively  maybe some oil analysis?
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Chris A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 18:23
There could just be an issue with the crank end float...have seen it on several small blocks and its due to wear on the half moon shims that set the float on the crank.Does the engine speed vary when the clutch is in or out ?
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 15:37
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Originally posted by NevilleG NevilleG wrote:

Mike says that "Theoneandonly" is a Guzzi mechanic and I have sent him a PM to try and start up a dialogue about it, but, as yet, I haven't heard anything from him. Nev.

Baldrick is probably one of the best sources of practical information we have here, but he doesn't check in every day. Probably some sort of excuse like having a living to make.
Also its his living, and giving out advice could involve him in litigation if things went wrong

I was advised by my previous employer never to give advice to members of staff asking about electrical problems, as it could leave the company and myself open to litigation
the way they explained it was that some one may come up and ask me advice about a problem and seem to have plenty of knowledge and skill, but could be less than competent and over confident of their own abilities and end up killing themselves
even now I am wary of giving out advice without first making a full inspection of the problem
This was brought home to me when one of our senior staff asked about alterations to an old property, and I said I would only give advice after inspecting it myself, I am so glad I did not get involved in any way
he didnt want to pay for my time, it would have saved him a great deal of money and hassle
ps the one and only is a very sound bloke and really knows his stuff,
if you are still worried about the motorcycle, why not arrange to have it inspected by a professional motor cycle engineer who is familiar with this type of machine

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 20:12
TheoneandonlyThumbs Up still owe him a quidThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by rapheal rapheal wrote:

I was advised by my previous employer never to give advice to members of staff asking about electrical problems, as it could leave the company and myself open to litigation

I suspect the real reason is more to do with wanting to be paid for your services.

If Baldrick wants to help it's his decision. He's normally very helpful.

Edited by Brian UK - 16 Dec 2018 at 21:48
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 21:46
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

Never admit something like that in public! LOL
Brian.

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 22:30

Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

Never admit something like that in public! LOL

Plus interest at 8 percent
I reckon a bottle of single malt by now
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 22:39

Originally posted by rapheal rapheal wrote:

I suspect the real reason is more to do with wanting to be paid for your services.

If Baldrick wants to help it's his decision. He's normally very helpful.

No they got sued big time
a plumber was asked about a problem with a heating system, and he did a sketch showing how it should work
bloke thought he was a plumber, did some serious damage as he was an idiot
company paid up, easier than going to court
we were also told never to provide a sketch or drawing of work as thats a contract 
I have been told the same by my recognised trade body
I can inspect a system and provide a report if  I intend to carry out the repairs, but i must clearly state that it is my own assessment and only covers me

Indian lady in the corner shop asked me about some electrical work for a roof extension, I had a look and gave her a quotation based on myself doing the work and providing the materials
new consumer units, split load boards, battery mains smoke detectors linked and escape lighting
she got her Uncle from Birmingham to carry out the work cos he was cheaper and family
the council refused to sign it off
no certificate , no planning notes, no test results
I got a solicitors letter threatening legal action for poor advice
gave it to my trade body
they dealt with her, the extension had to be removed and the building put back to its origional build
SO now I dont give advice, when my neighbour asked me about the three bedroom sockets not working, and how should he fix it ( he designs Aircraft Control systems)  I said get the place rewired, its about the same cost as a Co Op funeral
lots of bodgery as revealed as they ripped it out and rewired it ?

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 07:41
OK, but we have now gone a little off the original subject which was about the noise from an engine.

It helps if we can keep on topic when it comes to technical issues.
Brian.

NevilleG View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevilleG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 09:51
Blimey fella's !!   Steady on now !
A bit of advice to help a mate is a bit different to that given by paid professionals.
In my case I was just asking if anybody out there has a similar noise on their bike and, in the case of asking a more experienced and knowledgeable mechanic, if they had come across it in their work.
With regard to the other recent posts, it would be a good idea for contributors to read the WHOLE thread before adding their comment, as things that have already been covered are being repeated. Ta!
V7II Stone
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 20:26

Blimey fella's !!   Steady on now !
A bit of advice to help a mate is a bit different to that given by paid professionals.
In my case I was just asking if anybody out there has a similar noise on their bike and, in the case of asking a more experienced and knowledgeable mechanic, if they had come across it in their work.
With regard to the other recent posts, it would be a good idea for contributors to read the WHOLE thread before adding their comment, as things that have already been covered are being repeated. Ta!

Well I had a half day today
So I took my Breva out for a few hours to visit a friend
it makes some sort of noise that changes when I pull  the clutch in, but I am sure its always made that noise, A friends one makes a similar noise, if that helps
oh and the gears whine as well
it also has a few other odd rattles and knocks, but after 15 years if it goes bang one day I shant be too upset
When Antonio services it he changes all of the oils, oil cheap bearings expensive, and he always examines it for any metal particles, none found yet
have you ridden the machine hard until its warmed up to see if that makes a difference
they do run badly when cold
I tend to ride mine for about 5 miles gently through the gears, then when I hit the edge of town and the A40 I rev it in every gear to get it nice and hot
makes the drive box last longer as well

NevilleG View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevilleG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:23
To save any further confusion about my engine noise, I have now loaded the video I took of the noise on my first bike, onto Youtube. The noise is the same on my current bike but it's much quieter.
You will also hear a metallic twittering noise as I pull the clutch, which got progressively worse in the days after I took the video and is not present on my current bike. Initially that was thought to be the clutch thrust race giving up, but it could also have been associated with the knocking noise. I never got any answers from the guy who bought it back as to what had gone wrong, so that is why I am a bit concerned as to what might occur in the future.
This is the link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD6qnv_QiIg
V7II Stone
Roadrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 16:40
Hi could you put a video up of your current bike 😊
Malc
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 17:13
Have you been able to check for end float on the crank?
Brian.

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 21:00

To save any further confusion about my engine noise, I have now loaded the video I took of the noise on my first bike, onto Youtube. The noise is the same on my current bike but it's much quieter.
You will also hear a metallic twittering noise as I pull the clutch, which got progressively worse in the days after I took the video and is not present on my current bike. Initially that was thought to be the clutch thrust race giving up, but it could also have been associated with the knocking noise. I never got any answers from the guy who bought it back as to what had gone wrong, so that is why I am a bit concerned as to what might occur in the future.
This is the link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD6qnv_QiIg

I don't own a Breva but  for my peace of mind I would have to strip any bike I owned with that knocking sound. Good thing is Guzzi is easy to dismantle.
Two things spring to mind
1) split gearbox from engine check clutch for damage
2) Check crank for end float as mentioned in previous posts
Good luck
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic