guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New LM1 owner. Hello everyone !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:51
Thats very helpful,, thanks a million. 

I saw a suggestion of fitting switchgear from a Benelli 250 and the idea of fitting an extra wire. Is this viable does anyone think ?

Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:55

Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

850 le mans / 750 S3 handlebar switches

http://www.guzziriders.org/topic8035.html

[QUOTE=Bushymusic]

You’ll have to read to the end...
It did for me.

Edited by Bushymusic - 08 Nov 2018 at 08:59
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:59
Would it be possible for you to post a pic of what your switches look like now BM ?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 09:04
Don't worry BM. I have now seen that I did not read to the end of the thread. Much clearer now. Thanks again !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 09:14
I bought vinyl letters 3mm I think to write start on the push button to finish it.  

cereal fixer......(image of a person trying to fix a bowl of cereal with a spanner & a screwdriver comes to mind...lol)

here's what they looked like.

Seller had the bike for 20 years , replaced clip ons & fork head as too low, seat as too firm ...replaced switches/cables/lights - in fact anything that broke with yamaha or suzuki parts that were to hand....bit like any of us to get it road worthy & if aesthetics isn't a requirement & looked after the working parts & engine until the last few years when the combined cold shed storage, damp weather, faulty electric start, faulty coil, clogged carbs with split pumps turned it into a static lump of metal with possibilities .....& a winter project for me.

Bike came with the original seat/clip ons and fork head in a tesco's bag.

With a change up back to original parts (except the start button of course).....but I like that bit for the shear fun of it.

Edited by Bushymusic - 08 Nov 2018 at 10:06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 12:41
That looks really good. Great job BM. It's very inspiring to see what can be done. Where can such switches be purchased from - is there a link you could send me ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 12:54
I put a search on eBay world wide and then save the search with email me in the tick box.
I got these from Italy for the start button and the US for the rest. I was lucky to get NOS (new old stock.)

dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 13:37
MGcycle in the USA may have LM4/lario  handlebar switches. Added a month ago and sold out in a few weeks. Will these fit older LM's?
50$ each side

Edited by dan_s - 10 Nov 2018 at 13:40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 14:45
Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

I put a search on eBay world wide and then save the search with email me in the tick box.
I got these from Italy for the start button and the US for the rest. I was lucky to get NOS (new old stock.)

Ah, i see. do you recall what search terms you used ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 15:58
there is nothing I can find at the mo....try multiple headings, I had at least 5 different search’s save but I don’t remember which ones.

I do remember I spent hours looking....if you want the gold you have to look....that’s all I’m saying 

Edited by Bushymusic - 10 Nov 2018 at 16:03

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 16:01
Thanks, do you recommend going down the Benellii 250 route ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 16:04
depends how handy you are with soldering and bits..I took a £59 gamble.....you’ll have to buy molex fittings for the fittings if I remember right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:33
One last bit whilst I remember:
 it has been recommended & I followed this path to install a relay on old toy town/lego switch gear as you don't want the full electric current running up through the old switch to the head lights after you have up graded the bulb/fitting to something modern with a decent current...I don't honestly know what I'm talking about here...lol 
but I did it anyway so that when you switch on the lights a small current activates a relay that connects up the lights.....similar to what you do with heated grips. I remember doing it but not how...
laugh out loud even louder....I wish I had a better memory.....chuckle.
I may have to delete this particular reply for sheer embarrassment.

P.s Maybe update title  "New LM1 owner.Hello everyone!!" 
to include the words "original switch gear" for future riders looking for this subject..

Edited by Bushymusic - 11 Nov 2018 at 12:39

Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 15:29
Putting relays in the wiring is a good idea as it means that the current passing through the handlebar switches is low, this small current activates the relay that switches the main current on or off. It is used for starter motor, horns, flash headlight as standard on most Tonti framed bikes. I have also added relays to my headlamp on/off and headlamp main/dip functions keeping these larger currents away from my delicate switches. 

Edited by Chris950s - 11 Nov 2018 at 15:42
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 17:14
Originally posted by Chris950s Chris950s wrote:

It is used for starter motor, horns, flash headlight as standard on most Tonti

Actually not for the puny original horns, I had to fit one for my twin Fiamm 112 dB windowblastersEvil SmileEvil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic