guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Introduce yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New LM1 owner. Hello everyone !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New LM1 owner. Hello everyone !!
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 19:22
I am a new owner of a 1977 LM1. Second time around for me; I used to have one 30 years ago and was always sorry to let it go. Anyway I am going to need some bits and bobs.  Who would like to tell me how I can place an ad here asking for the odd spare part or two ? The first thing I can see that I need is some original LM1 left and right switch gear. Has any one got any they would like to part with ?

Sorry if I am asking in the wrong place. I will get the hang of it in time, I am sure.

Thanks All !
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 19:33
Welcome to the forum!

Parts for sale and wanted:  http://guzziriders.org/sales-and-wants_forums_cat5.html

There are various Facebook forums where I've seen this the original switchgear offered, but they are scarce, and generally pricey. And never "as new"  (o; I think the first series T3's (and T, and possibly the 750 Tontis?) shared the same switchgear - I've certainly seen it change hands in the 'first series' T3 Cali context. Good luck!

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 19:45
Gutsibits had the gawd awful switch gear and I think Vehicle Wiring Products it may be historic but I had Yam switchgear put on mine had the oem ones wired ready so if it was required they could be put on and plugged in .... kinda depends if the bike is going to be used or cosseted, my 76 V thou is well past 260k miles
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 21:27
Thanks Guys !
GU221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GU221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 00:46
I think there are a couple of things you need to forget about if you are going to ride it regularly. The switchgear and the seat. My switchgear came from a Yamaha trail bike, methinks. Much better and cheaper than original which was too hard to find.

They are the most satisfying of all Guzzis to ride on a nice fast twisty road. Nothing later comes close, IMO.
Bellagio 940T
T3
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 06:52
Welcome to the forum.
2001 California Special. (Modified)
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:55
Hi and welcome ,enjoyThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 16:16
Welcome.  At least here you won't find people getting excited that you said Le Mans 1 rather than just Le Mans!!!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Bushymusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 20:30
welcome....there are some very knowledgeable folk on here and very helpful too.

I’m guessing you bought one of the LM1 from eBay in Taunton as a guess?

The switch assembly do come up on eBay , there was about 4 or 5 last year in various states.
The switches need looking after and are pants for use to be fare  “they let the water in” so use something to keep the water from destroying the inners...I use ACF50.

The switches do come apart easily if you find some that haven’t been brutalised (the assembly is 40 year old plastic after all)  expect them all to show signs of age and oxidisation...even a set of old new stock if youre lucky enough to find them.

Starter button should have 3 wires...Benelli 250 starter buttons that look the same had 2 wires with the same housing so can be converted if I remember right...here is a link to converting a Benelli switch for a simple on/off ...if you go down that route like me...as I like a challenge..lol

850 le mans / 750 S3 handlebar switches

Headlight switch had a sprung red button, often this is damaged on the housing or on the clutch lever (ie a machined off section to stop it having to be pressed in when turning it to off).
Here’s a link to my clutch lever that had been machined off like this so I had to find another :

clutch lever assembly body from a 850 T3 / Le Mans

Expect to pay around £60 to £160 for each of the three switches (lights being a separate switch as such)when they come up.

As you have had one before you know how challenging they are to use with any certainty so no point in putting you off. They look great to me but are pants....chuckle.....Chuckle.

Try the Italian ebay and USA too.

Edited by Bushymusic - 07 Nov 2018 at 20:33
Black and gold Le Mans mk2 1981

when I'm not sitting on my hands we're a work in progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 20:30
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 20:50
Thanks Bushmusic. Yep, got me a Taunton bike.  Did you mean to paste a link or two in your message ? I cant see any links. Could you possibly try again ? (yes they do look good don't they - buy i am now very doubtful if it is worth it given that they are all so old) When i last had a LM1 the bike would have been just 6 years old, so they seemed fine to me then. 
Jalfrezi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jalfrezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 21:05
Welcome
'82 1000SP NT
'04 BMW R1150GSA
'04 KTM 640 Adventure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 22:27
you’ll have to type that in the search bar of guzzirider above to find the link....sorry don’t know how to insert them properly...lol

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 22:33
Where did you post them, which section? Search doesn't find them.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 07:47
was it the series 1 or 2 you bought as neither had original switch gear in the photos?

Quotes.....its like coding.....never learnt that either.....I'm liking this folks...

Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

850 le mans / 750 S3 handlebar switches

http://www.guzziriders.org/topic8035.html

Originally posted by Bushymusic Bushymusic wrote:

clutch lever assembly body from a 850 T3 / Le Mans

Edited by Bushymusic - 08 Nov 2018 at 08:08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic