guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what to look for in a v7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what to look for in a v7
    Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 22:52
2 blokes at my VMCC section have asked for info about V7s as they want something easier than their old stuff. The only thing I could advise was that they are good but are improved by disconnecting the Lambda sensors. What should I telling them? Which is the best mark? Any suggestions?
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 07:34
So far I've had no trouble with my V7 Cafe, all sensors connected. These are the twin throttle body models same as V7 Classic. Compared to British twins I've owned its been delightful with a progressive step up. 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:22
Depends on what the want to spend.
The V7 III seems to be better than previous incarnations, but will come with a hefty price tag.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 22:37
I would go for a single TB engine - simpler to set up and my Breva with twin TB had a flat spot I could not get rid of.  The MkI with 1TB does not have ABS while the MkII does.....personally the late MkI would be my preferred bike....which is why I have one!
Andyb
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 02:02
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

2 blokes at my VMCC section have asked for info about V7s as they want something easier than their old stuff. The only thing I could advise was that they are good but are improved by disconnecting the Lambda sensors. What should I telling them? Which is the best mark? Any suggestions?

Don't disconnect the Lambdas - pull the main fuse (the big one) and reconnect it to clear the ECU tables (two tables, 'hot' and 'cold'), they have a tendency to learn bad habits; the tables will be rebuilt.

The handbook says the spark plugs should be set to 0.7mm but the plugs come out of the box at 0.90mm and seem to work best at that gap.
Before blaming the Lambdas, change the plugs and check the HT system.
And the valve clearances may need resetting. 
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 02:17
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Depends on what the want to spend.
The V7 III seems to be better than previous incarnations, but will come with a hefty price tag.

The III gains about 2hp and about 50-lbs. At 1hp per 7kg it's actually losing out to the lighter II. The peak torque is further up the rev band making the power band shorter. The III power drops off sharply after peak power where the II tapers off more gradually
The III has a USB socket but it doesn't get a tachometer.  On the II a diy USB connects to the obsolete Tom Tom socket.
The III is Guzzi Multimedia platform ready but the app is a bit of a chocolate teapot; for example I know the where the maximum lean angle is when my toe touches the tarmac.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 05:39
You are right about the power characteristics of the mkiii compared to the mkii. Having ridden a mkiii, it just doesn't feel as 'punchy' as the mkii with a softer power and torque curve. It is a noticeable difference. They have sorted the fuelling on the Mkiii though to provide a smoother low rpm response to throttle input. After trying many fixes, disconnecting the lambdas worked with my mkii, but note this only works with the mkii, the others have different fuelling and don't seen to require it. 
Only the mkiii Stone and some of the kits based on it lose the tachometer. The mkiii special retains the twin clocks.

It is only my opinion, but the mkii is the best looking. Other minor differences between the classic, mkii and mkiii exist such as footrest position, ABS & 6 speed box (mkii on) seat height etc. They all seem to be well regarded by owners (plastic fuel tanks aside on earlier models) so you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 08:43
There is some really good gen here, thanks very much chaps. Pardon my ignorance and I'm sure I am missing something really obvious but what is TB?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 09:25
Throttle Body. The bit with the butterfly in.

Most of Guzzi's earlier models had one per cylinder, the later V7 range now have one between the two.

When I said the V7 III seems to be better I was referring to the throttle response which had been mentioned just before.
Brian.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 09:41
I took a v7 mark3 out for a test ride and it was very nice but it seemed to have more vibration through the rev range, but it was a new bike and may improve with more miles on the clock. My not very original v7 Classic gets smoother higher up the rev range you go. All that said, the latest model is probably a better bet simply because it's had more development.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 14:41
Thanks. And am I right in thinking that the Mk1 has carburettors?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 14:47
Not unless you are thinking of the original V7, the big block.
Brian.

Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 15:37
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

Thanks. And am I right in thinking that the Mk1 has carburettors?
If this is what you're looking at buy it immediately, even if it's on fire. 
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 19:04
LOL
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 19:07
Think of the V7 in waves.

The old and the new.

This is the new MK1

Anyone got a pic of the old one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic