guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what to look for in a v7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 19:45
Well your housekeeper must be good, looks like you could eat your dinner off that kitchen.

I see that is the mk3 Wilko ironing board with the rotary height adjustment tensioner as opposed to the mk2. - Nice. Can't believe you didn't post a picture as soon as you acquired it! 
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 21:16
That sure is a smart ironing board. If only I had a camera....
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 23:02
First time I've been allowed in there!Confused
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 01:37
My bike went back to the dealership over Christmas to get the slow running pick up sorted. They changed split breather hose, faulty HT lead and replaced the oil saturated filters in the breather box.
The breather system goes into the air box, so bad breather adversely affects the MAF sensor. 
Slow running is now so good it will pull 5th at idle without protest (just let go of the throttle), and pick up nicely from there, smooth.
It's still a lot easier to pull the main fuse to reset the ECU than disconnect the Lambdas.
Work on the other bike has shown that ECU, electronic fuel injection, really, really likes the oxygen sensors working. If you're getting better results with the Lambda disconnected then something else is probably wrong.
The simple solution is usually best.

iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 07:23
Originally posted by BobV7 BobV7 wrote:

You only had to ask!

iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 07:41
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

Originally posted by BobV7 BobV7 wrote:

You only had to ask!

No, no! Terrible design, is that. First off, the holes on the iron rest are spaced and sized incorrectly and will cause the underlying insulation pad to overheat very quickly. Said rest should also be constructed at an angle in order to take account of the natural movement of the users wrist. Anyone using that board on a regular basis will eventually suffer from GAWDD (Gross Aching Wrist Deficit Disorder) Although the cross joint is at present covered with a blue snap insert, this will eventually become loose, thus exposing the joint to AFI
(Abrasive Fluff Intake) causing premature wear. If this happens, the joint should be removed and soaked in oil for a week. I note the four feet, vital to board stability, appear to be quite narrow so I'd need to look at the tread design in order to make an informed choice, thus ensuring safe use at all times. On that basis, I would recommend caution if using after the kitchen floor has been washed: which soap should I use, I hear you cry? That's another subject which I will cover at a later date. Watch this space! Finally, the board cover design will, after a short period of use cause dizziness and should be changed immediately foe one in RED, but not just ANY red.    
Hope this helps.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 08:35
Look what you lot have done....the housekeeper is now insisting that the wiring on the iron should be changed to oxygen free copper and kept in the freezer before use to align the molecules correctly! Didn't think they knew what a molecule was if the scrambled eggs I get served up are anything to go by.

Edited by BobV7 - 01 Apr 2019 at 08:44
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:17
The square legs and feet would be no good for surfing either.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:24
A bit personal but I can't help it, all those on my Dad's side are like that. I blame the war.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 13:53
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 20:22
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

Although the cross joint is at present covered with a blue snap insert, this will eventually become loose, thus exposing the joint to AFI (Abrasive Fluff Intake) causing premature wear.

It is well known that the cross joint should be stripped & packed with marine grade chip fat immediately on purchase, before you even remove the factory wrapping, otherwise the whole ironing board will be junk within a century.  Not that I'd buy one of those square-framed boards - in case you didn't know Wilko haven't made an ironing board worth getting since the 1971 Special I-Lite.

Thread take-over complete & locked down LOL

Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:24
LOL
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 01:36
EeeTea View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EeeTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 19:00
Originally posted by jefrs jefrs wrote:

Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Yep, if you say so! 
Disconnecting the Lambdas worked for me thanks and it seems one of two others. Had mine from new and the low rpm throttle snatchiness was an issue out of the box - not any more.
I think we are wandering off post a bit now, so I have put in my limited input.

Disconnecting the Lambdas can be right for the wrong reason. With the Lambdas disconnected it has to run on the two map tables utilising the MAF sensor alone.

But the map tables can become populated with false or 'outlier' data. And this appears to be the root of the problem. The tables are 'self-adaptive matrices' i.e. they learn, and they can learn bad habits.

Clearing the tables is easy by just rebooting the ECU, by pulling the main 30A fuse and replacing it.  Allow about 20 seconds to shut down fully. Or by disconnecting the battery, but the fuse is a doddle, certainly easier than pulling the connectors on the Lambdas.

There is a lot there but the diagram on p.12 does show a dip in the fuelling at about 20-25% throttle, which may account for the flat spot where the Lambdas should be pulling the AFR up a little richer; see table p.14.
It may seem complicated but the simplest solution is reboot the ECU.

The low rpm snatch seems to be common to most electronic injector systems but the MIU-G3 is unique to Guzzi, or at least Piaggio. On some a bypass screw on the throttle body can dial it out but the Guzzi lacks that
oooh fantastic info so far...but that link I don't have permission.  Can you help further 😘. Thank you.

(Yep. A new guy. With a second hand 2013 V7... But with the new engine...but not a V7 ii ...it's all very confusing to someone unfamiliar with MG.

But my bike was running beautifully for the first few miles, then turnedr as a donkey's hind leg. I pulled the fuse when it was hot, and it was a whole different story. 

Just regapped the plugs to .09 so will see next time I ride. Do you think it will be worth pulling the fuse again, after regapping?
Mike View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 19:38
Ok, numpty here - how exactly does one disconnect the lambdas on a V7ii? I've had mine from new and think it's a great bike, but the snatchiness sometimes annoys...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic