guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 Special Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 Special Heads
    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 09:53
In the future I would like to replace both cylinder heads on my 1971 V7 special. The existing ones work perfectly but the exhaust header to head interface has been cleverly modified and may not last forever.
Obviously I'd be interested if anyone on here has a pair for sale but failing that, would someone enlighten me as to the suitability of any other heads. I'd guessed that all loop heads might be the same but my guesses are often questionable. Also are any of the early Tonti heads interchangeable?
I frequently see heads for sale but I'd like the "knowledge" to avoid collecting more paperweights.
I eagerly and appreciatively await your collective wisdom. Thanks, Phil
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 10:12
Good question, I"d be interested to know the answer to.  I did look into this as spark plug helicoil died. In the end its been fixed but I may need to look again in future. 

I think that the heads are different on different loop generations as valve sizes changed with capacity and probs other details but part numbers should help Identify whats what.  

Cheers

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:57
With a bit of luck Phil, your question will attract the attention of "Ambo Man."

I think the 750 and 850 Loops have the same heads, but I await confirmation from Charlie.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 14:20
V700s and early Ambassadors had smaller valves, single valve springs and a long head head nut with o-rings to seal it at the "12 o'clock" position. Later heads all had the same valve sizes, but there were several changes to fin shape around the spark plug. Here are a few pertinent links:

Tonti heads will fit and work, but since they attach the headpipe completely different (two studs vs. large nut) than Loops, you'd need to make up some sort of adapter.  
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 21:11
I met a guy at Stafford Show who had a single V7 head for sale, not sure which side. Also a 4 speed gearbox. Can perhaps pass on details? I don't need either.
Ian
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 08:33
Thanks Charlie, I now know what should be fitted and what could be fitted, that's really all I need. I'll start looking.
That sounds interesting Ian, I'd be happy to contact the seller if it's no use to you.
Phil.

chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 09:52
When I had my Norton Commando head refurbed I also had the exhaust ports redone with a new inserts which were welded in, jobs a good un, not sure if this is possible on a loop head tho.
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 14:10
Originally posted by chilly chilly wrote:

When I had my Norton Commando head refurbed I also had the exhaust ports redone with a new inserts which were welded in, jobs a good un, not sure if this is possible on a loop head tho.

Yes, it is possible and has been done many times. Repair inserts are currently available on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Moto-Guzzi-Exhaust-Thread-Repair-Insert-All-Thread-Head-Big-Block-Motors/222758947731

Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 10:29
Thanks for the info AmbomanThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 22:17
Originally posted by saultrader saultrader wrote:

Thanks Charlie, I now know what should be fitted and what could be fitted, that's really all I need. I'll start looking.
That sounds interesting Ian, I'd be happy to contact the seller if it's no use to you.
Phil.

I'll PM you his details, although I think he's up in the North East somewhere.

He's having a bit of a garage clear-out, so also has a 4-speed loop gearbox he wants to get rid of. Not suitable for my bike which has a 5-speed.

Ian
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 09:23
Thanks Ian, I'll let you know how it goes..meanwhile, memories of a summer's day..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:30
Back when the weather was hot. A few flakes of snow today!

Here's another 850GT encounter from a couple of years previously. As always mine was the scruffiest. Only a few frame numbers apart these 2.

kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 18:31
Yours is always the scruffiest mon ami !!
Nice old duke n Eldo behind Maroon 3 in an earlier pic.....LOL
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 20:05
I might well be interested in the 4 speed box if there is no other interest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 21:10
I'll ask him if he's still got it, and pass on his number if so.

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic